NOT STARTING

1991 Chevrolet

wilkinbear

September, 5, 2009 AT 12:37 PM

1991 Other Chevrolet Models Automatic

I have a 91 Chevy K1500 with a 5.7L engine. I have repaired almost everything, the starter went out last night and I got a new one, I also needed a new power steering pulley and belt. After putting all these things back on, it wont even turn over now. The battery is showing a charge of just over 13, the starter is brand new and I am stumped.

September, 5, 2009 AT 12:57 PM

Do you mean it cranks over and will not start or just won't crank at all/nothing/nada?

Cranks but no start condition:

Fuel and Spark

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/COP/coil packs,coil's resistances,distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it.

Compression:

If both fuel and spark is present-check the valve and ignition timing, this will lead you to problems
with compression and valves opening and closing at the wrong time/broken or jumped timing
belt/chain.

No crank at all/nothing/nada:

Could be the starter, starter relay, clutch switch/park and neutral switch and ignition switch assuming the battery and connections are good.

http://www.2carpros.com/kpages/auto_repair_manuals_alldata.htm

wilkinbear

September, 5, 2009 AT 6:31 PM

We started to work on the spark plugs, then decided that even though the starter was brand new we needed to make sure that it was a " good" starter, turned out the " NEW" starter was completely dead. They replaced it and it fired right up. Thanks for your help.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement