2005 Chevy Monte Carlo rear defroster

DLSWEGER
  • 2005 CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO
The rear defroster stoped working. I have power coming out of the circuit when I push the defrost button. The window grid ohm's out ok. I have power on feed wire to the grid when it is unhooked from the window, but when I hook it up the power goes to 0 volts. Not sure what to check next.
Tuesday, November 3rd, 2009 AT 5:10 PM

Chances are the switch is bad and can no longer handle the load from the grid. Check output power at the switch to see if it drops when you turn it on with the grid is plugged in. If it does, replace the switch.

Let me know what you find.

Tuesday, November 3rd, 2009 AT 9:48 PM
DLSWEGER
The switch lookes fine. I have 14 volts coming out of the circuir breaker, but at the grid 11.5 volts. Also when I plug into the gird and loose power I noticed when I unplug it the voltage goes from 1 volt and slowley climbes back up to 11.5, is there anything between the circuit breaker and the grid? Seemes like there may be a broken wire only maybe a coupple of strands holding on. Don
Wednesday, November 4th, 2009 AT 7:08 PM
THere isn't anything between the two. It does sound like a broken wire, but the voltage wouldn't rebuild. How did you check the switch? I went through a similar problem on a dodge that ended up being the switch. It showed normal voltage until a load was on it. At that point, it couldn't handle the draw and output voltage would drop.
Wednesday, November 4th, 2009 AT 7:24 PM
DLSWEGER
The power does not go through the switch. It is only control power to work the relay. I think the wire from the circuit breaker is bad some where. Going to ohm the wire from the breaker to the window connector to day. This should tell me if the wire is any good.
Thursday, November 5th, 2009 AT 8:04 AM
That is a good idea. There could be a break in the wire.

As far as the relay / switch, I understand what you are saying, but power still goes through the switch. It's just a thought.
Thursday, November 5th, 2009 AT 8:20 AM
FO TOG
I am having the same problem with a 03 Monte. I haven't pulled the switch out to check it yet, but when I do it seems like a simple jumper wire will tell if it's the switch that is the culprit. I will keep you posted.

I have always thought that the purpose of the switch was to provide a small load to the relay, so the relay was handling the bulk of the load.
Sunday, December 6th, 2009 AT 6:53 AM