CHEVY POSSESSED ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

manimal3497

December, 3, 2008 AT 5:42 PM

2001 Chevy Monte Carlo 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 73557 miles

I am trying to figure out where to start. First the turn signals randomly started working. There is no rhyme or reason as to when they will work or not. I have noticed they work more when it is cold outside. Then I the window on the driver side quit working. My brother installed a new switch and it fried immediately. We returned it and received a new one. It worked twice during installation and then we smelled it burning so it has been removed. Then some days I get the message that my transaction control is off and needs maintenence and some days it is fine. Also every once in a while I am now also getting the check engine light. Since the temps have dropped down into the 30's the turn signals work more than not the traction control light has went out and the check engine has not come on. I am lost as to where at in the wiring this could be or could it be somewhere in one of the computer chips? I have not put a new window switch in. Decided to wait until we can figure out what is causing all of the crazyness before we put a new one in again. Any ideas?

Docfixit

December, 4, 2008 AT 8:27 AM

First window is motor shorted thus fring switch. The other stuff get PCM scaned parts house will do. Post codes will advise. May have a faukty BCM body control module.

manimal3497

May, 7, 2009 AT 10:34 AM

For those looking for answers I found ths out and it worked. The turn signals and I believe it said brake lights also are all wired through the hazard switch. There ended up being a short in the hazard switch. It is a dealer only part (approx $45). I replaced this part and so far so good. As for the window there is short somewhere in it that I have yet to figure out. Installed a new regulator and motor. Window worked for a minute and then it fried the switch also?