A VERY SHORT WHILE AFTER DRIVING YESTERDAY LIKE ...

2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

fogertyb

A very short while after driving yesterday (like 50 yards) my brake light and traction control light came on and stayed on. I got a message in the dic for "Service Brake System" "Service Break Assist" and "Service Traction Control"

I shut the car off, started it again and the lights were off, then about the same time after driving they cam back on with the same service message.

Drove the car home, with no problems. Brakes worked fine. No stiff pedal, no extra pedale travel etc. Drove around 50 miles. It did the same thing this morning, and still does not seem to have any operating problems, but the warning lights come on very shortly after driving.

About 3 weeks ago I had new tires put on and the shop mentioned some minor play in my left front wheel hub bearing, didnt get it fixed because I didnt have the funds after 4 new tires. Could this be the cause? I have done some research and have read it is a possibility. I also came across speed sensors or abs sensors shorting out that could possibly be the problem.

If I am changing the hub bearings myself is that a tough and lengthy job?

Dr. Hagerty

You have correctly diagnosed this issue as a wheel bearing, good job mate. The replacement is straightforward and should be within the skill set of most anyone with a basic tool set.

Replace Your ABS Wheel Sensor Like a Pro
ABS Computer Replacement