CHEVY WONT START AFTER THE CYLINDER HEAD R

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

kingkebo

December, 18, 2008 AT 11:38 AM

2000 Chevy Monte Carlo 6 cyl 141000 miles

Hi, I really hope you guys can help me i've been stuck with this situation for about a week now. I had my cylinder heads replaced (2000 Chev. Monte Carlo 3.4 engine) along with spark plugs, spark plug wires and oil change all at the same time. Upon completion of the project, when starting the car, the engine would not turn over (it acts as if it wants to but its not getting enough charge; it makes a noise similar to when a car is out of gas). Upon reveiw of the situation the mechanic determined that it was the systems computer not sending the signal to the spark plug area ( even though there had not been an issue with the engine's computer system prior) and in turn not allowing the car to start. My question to you is 1.) Is the mechanic correct and what further actions should I take or, 2.) Is there something that we missed or that needs to be repalced for the car to actually start. Thank you for taking my question and God Bless!

M_H_RITZEL

December, 22, 2008 AT 9:05 AM

Has the car ran at all after you had the head job done? If not disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes then reattach. Then start car. If you had driven it to the mechanic to have the head done he would have had to start the car to make sure everything was ok.

kingkebo

December, 22, 2008 AT 10:15 AM

The mechanic came to my home and did the repairs in my driveway. He tried unhooking the battery and re-connecting it and it still is'nt turning over. We are all just baffled to what could be the cause of not starting after repalacing: both heads, new radiator, new water pump. Inital codes coming from the PCM was- P0306 and P0107. These codes were taken from the PCM PRIOR to doing the cylinder head replacements. Any help from you guys would be extremely appreciated. It has not ran at all after the head replacement.

M_H_RITZEL

December, 22, 2008 AT 11:14 AM

You say the car turns over but does not start, check the electical connections and the plug wires for the correct firing order. On older cars when we did a motor job we sometimes had to use starter fluid to get it running the first time. Check with the mecanic first. If the heads are correctly replaced and the car ran then I would still think it would be in the wiring.

kingkebo

December, 23, 2008 AT 9:42 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll be starting on that right away. Also you mentioned starter fluid; where should I be adding this ( I have a 2000 Chevy Monte Carlo 3.4 eng.)?

M_H_RITZEL

December, 24, 2008 AT 8:44 AM

Starter fluid is a high combustable fluid that you spray in the intake. Do not spray a lot in the intake, you need very little. If the wiring and timing are good then the car should start not unless there is other problems. As I said use very little. You can pick up a can at any automotive store and it is rather cheap.

Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Corolla 2000-20
Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla