Power Steering Pump

GILLY9246
  • 2000 CHEVROLET MALIBU
Steering problem 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 132000 miles

The power steering pump has been replaced but makes a whining noise that does not go away. On this model Malibu, does the power steering fluid reservoir have a built-in filter that, if clogged, may cause this problem?
Saturday, January 16th, 2010 AT 5:37 PM

To the best of knowledge, there isn't one. When the pump was replaced, did they use the old resivour? Also, was it an aftermarket pump or remanufacturered?

Let me know.

Saturday, January 16th, 2010 AT 7:29 PM
GILLY9246
In response to your questions:

1. The power steering pump that was installed was an after market pump.

2. I believe the old power steering fluid reservoir was used.

Thanks for you help.

Gilly9246
Sunday, January 17th, 2010 AT 3:17 PM
Hi:
First, I'm sorry if this took a long time to get back to you. For some unknown reason, I'm not getting all of my replies.

Regardless, if I had to guess, I would say it is the pump. I've delt with many aftermarket and remanufacturered pumps that do exactly that, make a whining noise. Chances are the only way to eliminate the noise is to get a factory part. At least that is what I have found.

I wish I had better news. If you want, have the shop that did the work replace the pump under warranty to see if you get a better pump. Also, I don't believe there is a screen in the old resivour. However, I feel the mechanic would and should have cleaned everything out before replacing it.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Wednesday, January 20th, 2010 AT 4:30 PM
CRAIGHAWES43
I am about to replace ps pump, the online parts stores recomend installing a filter in the system. Dont know what it is exactly but will find out when I get the pump and pully
Wednesday, March 14th, 2018 AT 10:45 AM
KEN
You don't need a filter all you need to do is flush the system. Here is two guides to help you get the job done.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/power-steering-fluid-flush

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-power-steering-pump

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken
Thursday, March 15th, 2018 AT 11:31 AM