1998 CHEVY MALIBU FUEL FILTER REMOVAL

• bklorenz
  • 1998 Chevrolet Malibu

1998 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 169000 miles

There is a black plastic ring around the tube end of the filter that is on the car. It is no longer intact, due to age and possible misuse. There is only one tab left on it, so is there still a way to remove the filter? I have tried for an hour with no luck, but I have never run into this kind before.

Do I have to replace the pump assy. If I cant get it off? Or does the black plastic tube come off of it?

Tuesday, August 19th, 2008 AT 9:02 PM

• Jack42

IS there small "windows" where you can see the plastic locks? If so try using a pick to push them in to release the lock. Some require a release tool to get off the filter, available at your local parts store

Wednesday, August 20th, 2008 AT 7:35 AM
  • bklorenz

I cant see anything except the black plastic part. It goes inside the fuel line. So I understand, if the black plastic part were intact, would I push it towards the filter to release the latch, or the opposite? There is no room for the tools I have seen to fit.

Wednesday, August 20th, 2008 AT 9:35 PM
  • Jack42

Try pushing it into the fuel line to release it

Thursday, August 21st, 2008 AT 7:42 AM
  • cj15

So it is a couple months later and I had to fight the same problem. My 2001 Chevy Malibu fuel filter is difficult to remove. The connector is a little different than described above, but enough so that I thought to tell how I removed it. The only people who care are you who searched to find this.

The hose from the fuel pump ends at the fuel filter with a green plastic "quick disconnect.&Quot; The quick did not work for me, so I finally figured out to a) open the green clip by flexing its retainer back a little and pulling the clip surface down toward the ground, and b) push the entire green plastic structure up and through the hose-end structure. On its way out the fuel filter could finally be extracted.

Finally, the newly purchased fuel filter's white clip had to be removed (it was slightly too wide) and the original green clip reused. I had to insert the green clip part way, stick in the fuel filter, then push the green clip structure all the way in.

Saturday, September 20th, 2008 AT 2:56 PM