Fast idle or very high RPM - Chevrolet Lumina

SURFMOBILE
  • 1995 CHEVROLET LUMINA

Fast idle or very high rpm in parking.I change the idle control valve noting happens still with very high rpm?

Friday, May 26th, 2006 AT 6:30 PM

LOSONE

Sounds like you may have a vacuum leak. Hvae it checked with a smoke test by a mechanic.

Friday, May 26th, 2006 AT 6:31 PM
SURFMOBILE

I check all the vacums line sinse to be ok if any hidden under dis?

Friday, May 26th, 2006 AT 6:35 PM
LOSONE

I didn't tell you to check vacuum lines, I told you to get a mechanic to check it with a smoke test. This will derermine if you have a cracked intake, bad intake gasket or brake booster. They inject a generated smoke from a machine and you can quickly see where you have a vacuum leak.

+1
Friday, May 26th, 2006 AT 7:36 PM
SURFMOBILE

Thanks for the help!
I scan the car and it showing me code 22 TPS sensor you thing this can be a problem for the high idle?

Monday, May 29th, 2006 AT 3:39 PM
LOSONE

95 and 96 vehicles were saddled with a Simtec code system. They were difficut to read and were replaced with OBD1 in 97 which was easier to handle.

22 Throttle position sensor - voltage low would give you a high idle because the computer is looking for a voltage around.5 volts. Low is probably 0. Replece the TPS. It is not expensive.

Monday, May 29th, 2006 AT 5:27 PM
SURFMOBILE

:D Iam glad to have profecional like you helping people in the caribbean!Ihave a couple of :
1-idle seed sensor code 35 is the same as idle cotrol valve.
2-h02s error code 13 is the same as oxigen sensor. Thanks again!

Tuesday, May 30th, 2006 AT 11:55 AM
LOSONE

Humm the code 13 means you have an open circiut in the O2 sensor. It is probably bad. Those codes can interact with each other especially code 35.

I would replace the O2 sensor first. It's and easy job. It is a 13/16 size the same as a large spark plug. Don't mess with the wire when you take it out, cut it off right on the sensor. It will allow you to get a socket over the sensor.

When you replace it don't touch the O2 element. Use an open end 13/16 wrench to just snug it tight. It doesn't need to be really tight. The sensor unplugs from a simple connector.

Here in Biloxi, Mississippi I feel like we are on an Island. Katrina took out both bridges east and west. We have one way out North. Hope it's a better year.

Losone

Tuesday, May 30th, 2006 AT 12:41 PM
SURFMOBILE

:D car is back to normal check ingine off and with your help I did it my self thanks again!

Wednesday, May 31st, 2006 AT 3:24 PM
CARCAR
  • 1999 CHEVROLET LUMINA
  • MERGED

1999 Chevy Lumina 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 125000 miles

what can be causing my engine to be idiling too high, my husband replaced the acelerator positioning switch because it was idiling so high that when I would crank it it would be idiling so much it would jump when I put it in gear. The car has always been hard to crank (i have to wait for the ignition buzzer to quit before it will crank)but now it is got worse and I have to press the accelerator to the floor then crank it. Could both of these problems be related?

Monday, January 9th, 2017 AT 4:00 PM
EPRINCE3
  • 1996 CHEVROLET LUMINA
  • MERGED

1996 Chevy Lumina 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 73000 miles

Hi, I have a few symptoms right now with my '96 Chevy Lumina, 3.1L V-6 sedan. Symptoms are as follows:

Engine overheating
When in overdrive, car will not go above 40 MPH before revving RPM's to 6K
When in regular drive, car will reach 50-55 before revving RPM's to 6K

When I keep applying gas, the engine continues to rev, I feel a large strain, smooth but still a strain, on the engine.

Soon, I have to pull over and turn the engine off for a few minutes, then restart the engine and try to go on my way.

After about 15-20 minutes driving (which is necessary for me, as going to college and back is about 45 minutes each way) even in regular drive I can not get above 40 MPH, then the engine will not get the car to move any longer.

I have checked my fluids, my transmission fluid is ok, my oil was overfilled (I'll never use that station again) and I have drained out enough oil to get it back to the level it needs to be at. But I am still having the same issue. One other thing that may be causing the over heating is only one of the fan blades is working, but sometimes neither of the two fan blades comes on.

Also, a few check engine codes are on.

1 and 2 relate to the EGR valve, but the EGR valve is new, clean, and the connection is good.

3 shows low tranny fluid or slipping in fourth gear (which is what it feels like at times as stated above)

What could be causing my problems? And how can I fix this?

Monday, January 9th, 2017 AT 4:00 PM