1998 Chevy Lumina CAR HICUPS AND CUTS OFF

RODSROCKBOX2
  • 1998 CHEVROLET LUMINA

1998 Chevy Lumina 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

Concerning my 1998 Chevy Lumina. I start the car and let it idle. The motor has a consistent miss every few seconds then it will die. When I drive the car down the road the miss is detected like a miss or a skip. After doing this for a while the motor cuts off.
I replaced the plugs and wires.( Still have the issues of cutting out) Used a scanner and it showed cam sensor. I replaced the cam sensor TWICE and still have the same issues. What is the solution to this motor cutting out and then off?

Saturday, December 12th, 2009 AT 4:15 PM

MATHIASO

The code is pointing at a system at fault.
Camshaft position sensor is used to keep the engine's control module informed about the relative position of the crankshaft. By monitoring cam position (which allows the control module to determine when the intake and exhaust valves are opening and closing), the control module can use the cam position sensor's input along with that from the crankshaft position sensor to determine which cylinder in the engine's firing sequence is approaching top dead center.
The problem is the misfire. If you could rescan and post the codes, I will greatly appreciate to help.

Sunday, December 13th, 2009 AT 12:12 AM
RODSROCKBOX2

The code on the scanner shows 341 camshaft sensor
The Lumina has had the cam sensor replaced 2 times. Each time with a new one. All in the same week.
Changing the sensor did not solve the problem of the misfire.
ALSO If the code is taken out. The check engine light and the misfire may not happen untill after about 20 miles or so when the car gets warmed up.
But sometimes check engine light and misfires will start right after starting the motor too.
So after the car gets warmed up in about 20 miles or so you will feel the misfire and then take your foot off the gas pedal and start to brake for a stop sign or red light. The car will misfire and cut the motor off. The motor will start back up though and continues with the same issues.

Sunday, December 13th, 2009 AT 12:52 PM
MATHIASO

Thank you for providing the code.
What you need to do is to check that the wiring isn't routed too close to any secondary ignition components (coil, spark plug wires, etc.)

Visually inspect the wiring at the sensor for any burn marks, discoloration indicative of melting or chafing

Check for poor wiring connection at PCM.

Visually inspect the reluctor wheel through the cam sensor port for any missing teeth or any damage'
Thank you for using 2carpros. Com

Sunday, December 13th, 2009 AT 2:37 PM