1990 Chevy Lumina Ignition Switch? Key won't turn all the w

MDUNKINS83
  • 1990 CHEVROLET LUMINA
The key will turn forward to "ON" position (for radio and lights to work), however, it stops and won't turn further in order to start the engine. (It turns back fine also). I'm assuming I need to change the ignition switch. If so, how do I do that on my own? If it's something else, what do I need to do?
Thanks!
Monday, March 2nd, 2009 AT 3:13 PM

RACEFAN966
Have you taken off the plastic to check and make sure everything is working correctly. There is an ignition switch actuator and when they crack or brake the key will not turn far enough to start the car. Here is a pic of the actuator.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_217092_1.jpg

Monday, March 2nd, 2009 AT 7:34 PM
MDUNKINS83
A "piece with teeth" resembling part of your picture below came out of the steering column on the rod attached to the starter switch. I bought a new starter switch, but now can't figure out how the rod goes back in the new starter switch. Where it would make sense for the rod to go (in the slider on the side) isn't where it came out of the old starter switch (on the bottom). I have scoured the internet looking for removal/installation instructions for this starter switch and came up with nothing. Now it sounds like I may need to remove and replace the switch actuator as well. I'm stuck, so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009 AT 3:03 PM
RACEFAN966
Ok here is a pic of the column. Now let me know what help are you needing. What is it that you need for instructions from me? I will do all I can just let me know where it is that you are stuck.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic_48.jpg

Wednesday, March 4th, 2009 AT 11:06 AM