2004 Chevy Impala AC not blowing cold

JOSHLD
  • 2004 CHEVROLET IMPALA
I took the car to the mechanic, he said he check the charge on the ac and it was fine. He beleived that it was the blend door and would require at least 10 hours of work. I decided I would take a look for myself. I got to the blend door and checked the doors and they moved fine:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/577946_IMG_20100912_194332_1.jpg

I'm now thinking maybe its plugged somehow, but i dont know.

You can get some cold air when you turn on the ac, but not enough to make it worth while.
Wednesday, September 29th, 2010 AT 9:35 AM

DOCFIXIT
Hi
What really need to diagnose is High and Low side readings fan on high engine at 1500 rpm and readings at idle. Do you have gague set?
Let me know
Thanks for donate
Wednesday, September 29th, 2010 AT 11:12 AM
JOSHLD
Yes I do, I will read those tonight and let you know.
-1
Wednesday, September 29th, 2010 AT 11:24 AM
DOCFIXIT
Good when you operate controls from hot to cold blend door moves? And all functions work Diff, panel?
Wednesday, September 29th, 2010 AT 11:29 AM
JOSHLD
Yeah, I checked all the controls on the control model. All of them worked, it was neat to watch them work, almost worth the 5 hours it took to get to them. Haha.

I should find that all the pressures check ok since the mechanic I took it too said he check those and said they were fine. But it never hurts to check for yourself.

The reason that I original thought it was the blend door was that the passenger's side blew colder that the driver's side, but that could just because it favors the passenger's side I guess.
Wednesday, September 29th, 2010 AT 11:51 AM
JOSHLD
I checked the pressures, low was right on (30's) but high was off (50's).

I vacuumed the AC and refilled with the UV stuff. I haven't found the leak (if there is one) but it would be a small one seeing how last time I refilled the AC it took a month before I noticed that there was no ac so it must be a small leak?

Also I noticed that it would blow colder on the right side, could that be because the air comes in from the right side, or maybe the evaporator core is plugged a little on the left side?

Any ideas?
Thursday, September 30th, 2010 AT 9:08 AM
DOCFIXIT
Need to know gague readings like low 35 high 200
Right side will be cooler because Evaporator is on PASS side. While you have dash out and there is a leak open case and check Evap GM has long history of evap leaks
Thursday, September 30th, 2010 AT 2:33 PM
JOSHLD
Low was 30-35
High was 50-60

This is with the engine on idle, and the ac on max.
Thursday, September 30th, 2010 AT 2:53 PM
DOCFIXIT
Readings indicate faulty compressor how recently has system been VAC and charged?
Thursday, September 30th, 2010 AT 3:13 PM
JOSHLD
Well, I just vacuumed it last night and charged it.
Thursday, September 30th, 2010 AT 3:32 PM
DOCFIXIT
Then compressor faulty have you pulled orfice tube and checked for debris?
Friday, October 1st, 2010 AT 9:38 AM
JOSHLD
No I have not, I will try that this weekend, see what I find out. That wouldn't explain the slow leak though, but that may be the cause if it not blowing as cold as it should right?
Friday, October 1st, 2010 AT 9:42 AM
DOCFIXIT
Readings for high side MUST be @200psi for AC to condense gas to liquid for cooling. Believe leak is Evaporator
Friday, October 1st, 2010 AT 9:49 AM
JOSHLD
Ok, so is there something special I need to know about taking the evap core out? Am I going to have to vac the system before hand?
Friday, October 1st, 2010 AT 9:54 AM
DOCFIXIT
Yes will need to discharge system remove HVAC unit open up check EVAP for dye, no special tool needed
Saturday, October 2nd, 2010 AT 12:20 PM
JOSHLD
I pulled the evaporator out, no leak. I scanned all the ac lines, im not seeing a leak at all anywhere.

I am going to try looking again when it is dark.
Sunday, October 10th, 2010 AT 4:06 PM
JOSHLD
I looked for any UV leaks last night and I did not see any. I'm about ready to put everything back together, but I don't want to without fixing this, any other ideas?

There sere some speckles on the evaporator core, but nothing larger than a speckle.
Monday, October 11th, 2010 AT 10:50 AM
DOCFIXIT
Cap off evap core apply compressed air submerge in water check for bubbles. What did orfice tube look like? Clean? Debris?
Monday, October 11th, 2010 AT 11:08 AM
JOSHLD
I will try that tonight. There was some dirt or something on the connection, but nothing major.

I order a evaporator for rockauto, figured I replace it anyway regardless.

Do you know of a good walk through for flushing the coolent, I had too disconnect the heater core to get to the evap core.
Monday, October 11th, 2010 AT 11:24 AM