CHEVY OIL FILTER GASKET LEAK

2000 Chevrolet Impala

booker194

February, 3, 2008 AT 10:26 AM

Engine problem
2000 Chevy Impala 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 131000 miles

I change my own oil and filters, I changed the oil and filter roughly a month ago. The other day I was driving and the low oil pressure light came on, I pulled over and popped the hood to find oil sprayed all over the radiator and fan.

I got the car home and discovered the leak was coming from around the filter. I removed the filter and found a small indentation in the gasket. Thinking this may have been the sourced of the leak, I replaced the filter. I started it up with the new filter and there was still a substail leak. I removed the filter and it appeared the part of the gasket had been almost blown off when started. I replaced the filter one more time and got the same result. The leak is very bad, if I were to leave the car running for more than 30 seconds all of the oil would probably drain out.

The picture shows the last filter I pulled off. The filter was only on to start the car up, not driven anywhere. On the back side you can see how the gasket has been pulled out of its seat. I cover the gasket with oil before putting it on the car. I've changed many filters and never had this happen with the gaskets before.

What could be causing the gasket it to do this and is it easily repariable?

I dont think the picture went through I tried twice.

merlin2021

February, 3, 2008 AT 10:33 AM

I have only seen it once before, on a new BMW! What happened in his case was Jiffy lube did not check the block to see if the old gasket was still suck on it, and it was! Double check for the old gasket from the previous filter! If nothings there, the pressure relief valve is stuck.

booker194

February, 3, 2008 AT 10:38 AM

I double checked that and the old gasket was totally removed.

merlin2021

February, 3, 2008 AT 10:42 AM

Go to Autozone and grab an oil pressure test gauge, I know it leaks, but try a quick reading. If the valve is stuck some GM's have a little tit sticking out near the filter with a screw end on it, the relief valve is in there. The spring may have broke.

booker194

February, 4, 2008 AT 7:14 PM

I can't locate anything around the filter that matches what you are describing is it possible that the relief valve is in the oil pump?

merlin2021

February, 5, 2008 AT 8:31 AM

Yes, if it can't bee seen on the outside, you; ll have to test the pressure, then if it's too high, change the pump.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes
Oil Change and Filter Replacement - Ford F150
Oil and Filter Replacement BMW M5 2005-2010
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Acura TL
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevy Silverado
 Oil Change & Filter Ford Explorer 2000-2005
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chrysler PT