CHEVY SHAKING & LOW IDLE IN DRIVE MODE

1977 Chevrolet El Camino

Elcami

February, 25, 2010 AT 11:49 AM

Shakes or Wobbles problem
1977 Chevy El Camino 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

Hi

Q1:
My car is shaking and has low idled when I'm in drive mode. I tried to play with the solenoid & mixing screw but it changes the idle only on neutral. Is that any way to control the idle in drive mode? Could it be something else?
(I have disconnected EGR value with plug and EGR vacuum)

Q2:
I have to vacuum hose on the left and back of my Rochester Monojet carburetor. I notice that one of them have low vacuum pressure and the other higher. Which on need to connect to the distributor and the canister, the higher or the lower vacuum pressure?

thx.

hmac300

March, 5, 2010 AT 7:52 PM

If the idle I slow it should be turned up higher so it wont 'be so low in drive. Make sure your solenoid works as it may not. The screw idle should be lower than the solenoid so when you turn the key off the solenoid goes back and the car shuts off. Make sure to do your air control in nuetral and get the highest reading or speed you can. On your hoses, the lower pressure goes to the distributor and the higher to the canister purge vavle.

Elcami

April, 16, 2010 AT 3:50 AM

Cylinder no 3 doesnt work and this cos the shaking.
After compression check I found one of the values not working. I open the value cover, everything looks fine, the spring hard I suspect the value holder.

My question is: Is that any way to check or replace the value without open the engine head? Can I do it by myself?
I heard that the value can fall down to the cylinder, if I turn the engine so the piston will be on top, will it hold the value from falling down (is there enough space)?

hmac300

April, 16, 2010 AT 7:58 AM

If you are going to fix a valve the head must be pulled off. The seat will have to be ground if not replaced. If you are doing this your self, pull both heads and get new seats put in as well as the valves being ground or replaced if burnt. That is waht is wrong probably anyhow, the seat are into the head nd need to be repalced for today's newere lead free fuels. But before you teka it apart, take the valve cover off again and start the engine and watch number 3 carefully. Are both the springs on that cylinder moving up and down the same distance? If not you may have a bad cam as well. If you do you'll need new cam and lifters as well as timing chain.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars