CHEVY FUEL

1982 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe

Dave40

October, 12, 2010 AT 1:00 PM

1982 Chevy Custom Deluxe V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

I have a 305 motor that has been running fine up until yesterday. It wont stay running. When I get it started and try keeping it running, it blows smoke white smoke out of the exhaust and the starts popping and the wants to die. I made sure it was getting fuel, I checked the oil dipstick to make sure there was no water in the oil. I canno tlocate the fuel filter to check that. Can this be a fuel filter problem or (I hope not) a head gasket?

Wrenchtech

October, 12, 2010 AT 1:19 PM

White smoke means coolant is being burned which points right to a blown head gasket.

It's possible for a bad intake manifold gasket to do that too but that engine is not known for that.

Dave40

October, 12, 2010 AT 1:55 PM

Thank you for your reponse. You mention that it could be intake gasket problems. I have a slight oil leak coming from the gaskets for the valve covers that leak near the gasket for the intake. I wonder if this could be destroyng the gasket for the intake.

Wrenchtech

October, 12, 2010 AT 1:57 PM

No, that's not related

Replacing Head Gasket
Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla