CHEVY TRANSMISSION HESITATION AFTER WARM-UP?

1991 Chevrolet Corsica

jtyaple

October, 30, 2009 AT 12:00 PM

1991 Chevy Corsica 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 102000 miles

For a while now when I completely let off the gas or get back on the gas there is a small clunck like the transmission is engaging or disengaging. Now on my way to or from work after about 15 miles at highway speed- when I attempt to lightly press on the gas (to simply maintain speed while going down hill) the car begins to buck like the transmission is quickly engaging or disengaging and the check engine light will go on. When I start the car back up later on, the check engine light is off. The car runs fine under moderate to full throttle, or no throttle. Just under light throttle to maintain speed is the problem. Not really sure if it is transmission, engine or computer related issue

bigjim79

November, 29, 2009 AT 1:02 AM

I would have to say that it is the overdrive switch in the tranny. To check it is easy. Start up, let warm to normal operating temp. Drive normal. Once your are at 55 mph keep foot on gas pedal and lightly apply brake. You should hear the engine RPM's go up when the brake pedal is mashed and return or go down when released. If this doesn't happen then the overdrive switch in the trans is bad which will drive you bucking crazy: )