WON'T START

1990 Chevrolet Corsica

inneedofsumhelp

November, 10, 2007 AT 10:44 PM

First off, there is no apparent spark. It's a 1990 chevy corsica, with 147k miles on it. The engine : 2.2L

Fuel is getting to the throttle body.
coils read 5.3K each.
ignition control module was verified to be good by NAPA.
there are no engine codes.
the car will turn over all day, and rarely fire for a split second. (It's done it 3 times in the last 5 minutes of turnover(not all at one time)).
the plugs are a year old, along with the wires.
Checked for spark on all 4 cylinders and there was none.
starter cranks over fine, and there is compression (as found by turning over the car without a plug in it)
replaced crankshaft position sensor.
checked fuses. They are a ok
did tap test on ECM, no change.

car was running fine, then ran very rough for a few seconds, then died. After this, the engine light came on. Thankfully I coasted home and haven't been able to get it running.

Any ideas?

November, 11, 2007 AT 4:42 AM

Crank engine over do you hear the injectors clicking?

The computer has to get a ignition reference signal in order for it to tell the control module to fire the coils.

inneedofsumhelp

November, 11, 2007 AT 1:09 PM

The car is TBI. I hooled up a scan tool to the ALDL connector, and found that the injector is getting a pulse. The computer has 12v on the correct pins, and grounds are good. There is power going to the ICM, and the ground is good. The wiring between the Crank position sensor and ICM is good.

Any ideas?

Thanks much in advance.

GMtinkering

November, 30, 2007 AT 4:05 AM

Wow you a so close too the problem. I think you have a bad crank sensor? When thay get bad the engine wont start.

inneedofsumhelp

November, 30, 2007 AT 9:51 PM

Wow you a so close too the problem. I think you have a bad crank sensor? When thay get bad the engine wont start.[/Quote: 6f9c1b4cf9]

Replaced the crank sensor for the second time, and the car ran. Noticed that the aftermarket sensor had a tab on the end of it that has to be filed off it or it will not seat properly. Car runs fine now.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement