Best way to hotwire a cooling fan

NONMIANNOIARE23
  • CHEVROLET CAVALIER
I have a 91 chevy cavalier 2.2L with about 118,000 miles. I have had a headache with this fan and I have tried to have the problem solved on here but to no avail. What would be the best way to hotwire the fan? I ran a rocker switch from the inside of the car with 18 gauge wire. I ran 3 wires, one from the power supply off the fusible link that use to run the fan, one to power the hot wire for the fan, and the last one I grounded to a bolt and stud on the body but when I connected the battery the fusible link started to smoke. What did I do wrong? Do I need to use a thicker gauge wire?
Saturday, November 3rd, 2007 AT 1:16 AM

MERLIN2021
It looks like you actually made a switch to ground the power, insted of run the fan! Do you have a test light? Unplug the fan connector turn a/c on test the connector, any power? Try replacing the ECT and fan relay, test the fan by running pos and neg from battery to fan, does it work?
Saturday, November 3rd, 2007 AT 6:56 AM
NONMIANNOIARE23
I went all through this before with other people on here but the problem was not found. How would I fix the hotwire job run the ground wire off the switch to the ground wire to the fan connector?
Saturday, November 3rd, 2007 AT 12:44 PM
MERLIN2021
You need to cut the wires before the plug on the fan, so the plug stays, then run the ground wire to ground, the hot wire to the switch and the other side of the switch to a fused power sourece, I suggest you find one that dies when the key is off!
-1
Saturday, November 3rd, 2007 AT 3:17 PM
NONMIANNOIARE23
So it is not a good idea to run the power source from the fusible link that has constant power as the power source to the swich
Saturday, November 3rd, 2007 AT 9:13 PM
MERLIN2021
No! If you forget to turn it off, and you will, the battery will die!
Sunday, November 4th, 2007 AT 4:47 AM
NONMIANNOIARE23
Is that the only concern with the constant power? I bought a rocker switch that is a bright blue led light when the power is on so I will not forget. I am going to try to finish the hotwire and if everything works fine I will leave a positive comment and make a donation, thanks for the speedy responses
Sunday, November 4th, 2007 AT 10:24 PM