Fuel pump location and replacement

SCOTTLEND58
  • 2005 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
Which wire do I check for power getting to the fuel pump at the pump and how do I change it?
Tuesday, December 2nd, 2008 AT 10:30 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
Have you tested relays and checked fuses first?

Here are two guides and a video to help us see whats going on.

https://youtu.be/Lhd0vd8pdBU

and

https://youtu.be/S6ka-fscAuw

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

You can remove the relay and take it to any auto parts store i.e Napa, Autozone, Advanced auto parts, to test the relay for you. Or touch the relay with it plugged into the connector and have someone turn your car on (not crank it) you should feel the relay click. If it doesn't click, then the relay is not coming on. Check power to relay. There is one wire that should be consistently hot, usually an orange or red color. If you unplug the relay and use a multimeter to check the terminals on the relay connector, there should be one terminal that gets voltage with the car off. If power is getting to relay but relay is not clicking, replace relay.

If still need to test fuel pump wiring, check voltage of the GREY wire.

Please run down these guides and report back.
+2
Wednesday, December 3rd, 2008 AT 1:32 AM
FICHA
  • 2002 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
Changing and location of fuel pump.
Thursday, December 19th, 2019 AT 2:19 PM (Merged)
The fuel pump is in the fuel tank look for an access door thru the back if none -you have to drop the fuel tank-
+1
JFEDERICO
  • 2002 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
Chevy Cavalier (2002) would not start and had to be towed. Repair shop diagnosed that fuel pump had to be replaced in the tank and quoted price tag of $900.00.

Don't mind paying if this sounds correct, should I be wary?

RHALL77
What is the price of the fuel pump. I think I would call around for a second opinion
JFEDERICO
About $250.00
RHALL77
Call around that sounds expensive
METHANEB
  • 2002 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
2002 Chevy Cavalier. Having intermittent problems with the fuel pump. Sometimes the car won't start (fuel pump not running). Tap on the backseat near the fuel tank, and usually that will get the pump to run. I have had 3 pumps put in this car in the last year (2 by myself, last one was by a pro). New pigtail, new fuel filter. I suspect a bad ground, and I'm very frustrated that the pro didn't catch it (I told him I believed the pump was fine, even though it was a cheap pump. He insisted it was the problem and soaked me for a dealer pump). Sometimes the problem will go away for 2 months, and then come back randomly. I firmly believe it is not a problem with the pump itself, but something else causing the pump to not run.
If you wire the fuel pump direct from the battery and it comes on constantly-the problem is coming somewhere else-start at the fuel pump relay-
+1
SHOPTOOLS21
  • 2002 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
I replaced the fuel pump and filter in an 02 cavalier still would not start so I checked to see if I had fuel at the rail but no fuel. I also check to see if I was getting fuel at the filter and no fuel at this point either. I lowered the tank to check and make sure I did not pinch the lines when putting the tank back in and no problem their either. When you turn the key on you can hear the pump prime.
SATURNTECH9
When cranking the engine is the pump running? Are you getting power and ground to the pump while cranking the engine?
-1
SHOPTOOLS21
No, you can not hear the pump running when I crank the engine over. You hear it when I turn the key one and when I turn the key back to the on position.
SATURNTECH9
What was the pump you replaced doing? If you getting good power and ground to the pump and its running and no fuel comes right out of the pump. You have a blockage a pickup issue a bad fuel pump not enough gas in the tank or a polarity issue reversed.
SHOPTOOLS21
The pump I replaced was running when you turned the key on but I had no fuel pressure when I check it. Know I am wondering if I was even getting any fuel. That was something I never checked before replacing the pump. I am hearing a clicking sound from the engine compartment when I turn the key to the off position after trying to start the car. Not sure what it is, I even hear it when I just turn the key to the on position and then off. Could this maybe have something to do with it not getting any fuel?
SATURNTECH9
I would like you to Check the ground to the fuel pump see if you have 2 ohms or less to ground while your cranking the engine. Then see what the voltage is to the pump while cranking the engine? Do this with the fuel pump still hooked up not sure what the clicking noise your hearing is.I want you to do the tests I asked and please let me know what you find. The clicking could just be normal a solenoid clicking etc.
SHOPTOOLS21
When I turn the key to the on position I have just over 12 volts. When I turn the engine over I have around 9.5 volts and that would be on the high side it jumps around quiet a bit. As for ground I have around.5 ohms when the engine is turning over. I had my meter set to the lowest setting. So I hope I test the ground correctly. I also pulled the relay switch and with the key on I had around 12 volts on two of the points. I need to make some type of jumper to check it with the relay in.
SATURNTECH9
Make up a power jumper wire with a 10amp in line fuse and run that to the power side of the pump and see what happens? Something is really strange here even with 9volts there should be some fuel but that battery doesnt sound too charged or you have a bad battery.
SHOPTOOLS21
Well, I hooked the pump up directly to the battery, it runs but no fuel. So it sounds like the pump is bad. I also did the same thing with the old one and it also ran but did not pump any thing. Very confused at this point.
SATURNTECH9
If you have a good power and ground to the pump and good fuel source to the pump sounds like a bad new pump anything is possible.
DAN KLICK
  • 2002 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
Four cylinder front wheel drive automatic 12,000 miles.

Can you tell me where the fuel pump is located and is it hard to replace? No fuel in throttle body but starts when sprayed with starter fluid but then shuts off.
Thursday, December 19th, 2019 AT 2:20 PM (Merged)

Sponsored links