Crank and camshaft position sensors

PLWESTMO
  • 2001 CHEVROLET CAVALIER

Four cylinder two wheel drive automatic 135,000 miles.

My car (2.2 liter) has a bad crankshaft position sensor. The only problem I have is that I do not know where it is located on my car. I have searched and cannot find it. Is there a diagram of some sort that I can look at or is there a detailed explanation somewhere where I can find the sensor location on my car? I have the same issue with the camshaft position sensor.

Monday, February 8th, 2010 AT 1:26 PM

Here is the camshaft and crankshaft sensor locations in the diagrams (below) Here are also some guides to help you see what you are in for when changing the sensors.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/camshaft-angle-sensor-replacement

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/crankshaft-angle-sensor-replacement

You may need to jack the car up to get to it. Here is a guide to show you how to do it safely.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/jack-up-and-lift-your-car-safely

Here is a camshaft sensor and crank sensor on Amazon for $39.00

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CGM7HQ/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=2carprcom-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B000CGM7HQ&linkId=95d3888e7b29f725f219085d404a3eaf

Cranks sensor is $29.00 for AC Delco , the good stuff

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C9NMUE/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=2carprcom-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B000C9NMUE&linkId=1b4789f6ae844aac5aa87958dc480de4

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_cavalier_crank_sensor_1.jpg

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers

Monday, February 8th, 2010 AT 1:42 PM
PLWESTMO

Thank you. I found the problem it was the wiring harness at the connector. I fixed it and no more problem! Thanks 2Carpros, you guys are the best!

+1
Monday, February 8th, 2010 AT 2:33 PM
CVEITZ2011
  • 1999 CHEVROLET CAVALIER

I need to replace the pigtail to the camshaft sensor. Where are the wires located that I would splice the pigtail to?

Thursday, September 21st, 2017 AT 5:38 PM (Merged)

How do you know? If problem is ref voltage--ground or signal, you need to find out.

The electrical connector comes apart, you may be able to use needle-nose pliars to squeeze contacts. The partsbook I looked at shows only connector, no pig tail wires. If you have a connector with pigtail wires just splice them in.

CVEITZ2011

The wires on the cam shaft sensor connector have been chewed by a mouse. I have the wire connector that connects to the cam shaft sensor. I just need to know where the wires to splice to the new connector are located and how would I locate them?

I've never seen that happen with a vehicle regularly driven, them varmints don't like that hot engine.

I can give wiring colors below, the wires go to the pcm. That's about all I can do, check the wiring harness for the proper wire colors. The info was for 2.2L engine.

CVEITZ2011

Where is the pcm located? The car sat for a few months in farmland, and the mouse had a field day with the wires, literally.

Sounds like a nightmare. The pcm should be right front of engine compart, passenger side. At the moment, I don't have a picture.

CVEITZ2011

Is it easily accessable? Also I noticed several wires connected to a believe a relay right under the air filter. Could that be the pcm?

I don't know, I would have to look? Sounds like your in over your head, no offense intended.

You have to safely raise and support the vehicle, passenger side. Remove engine splash guard, to get at pcm. As far any other wiring, I'd have to look at it. You need a friend or somebody that knows about vehicles, that can actually look under the hood. I can't see anything from here.

CVEITZ2011

No offense taken. I know a little but not enough. Thank you for your time and help.

CVEITZ2011

I was informed that the cam sensor is controlled by the ecm and I would find the wires at the ecm. Problem is my buddy isn't able to make it to my place today to locate the ecm. Any idea where it would be and how would I access it?

I've already told you where it is and how to get at it.

Does the starter crank ok?

CVEITZ2011

The starter cranks good, starts up good, and seems to run fine. I replaced the plugs and wires and the valve cover gasket and changed the oil.

Sounds better than I thought. The cmp wiring at pcm is below.

CVEITZ2011

You're the man. Thank you very much.

No problem, hope everything is going your way.

NEOSTAN6
  • 1997 CHEVROLET CAVALIER

I want to know if the 1997 chevrolet cavalier 2.2 ohv mpfi has camshaft position sensor, cause here I got one like that and I can't see it and I have a cavalier 2200 ohv sfi engine that has it.

Item g on chart in first pic where the hole is on block is crank sensor. 2nd pic may be right

You can also go to rock auto cataog online and it will show you a pic of it to make it easier.