2001 Chevy Cavalier Car Won't Start

SQUALL8882
  • 2001 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
2001 Chevy Cavalier Automatic

I took my car to a mechanic who wanted to charge 1,200 for replaceing a head gaskett, water pump, radiator, radiator motor. I decided to fix it all myself which I did. It starts but now after awhile it dies or it sounds like its flooded. I have the car manual and did the repairs correctly.
Thursday, October 21st, 2010 AT 9:56 AM

KHLOW2008
Hi squall8882,

Thank you for the donation.

Engine stalled after how much running time?
Did you try to retrieve for trouble codes?
Are you able to restart after some waiting time?
Is engine 2.2 or 2.4 L?
Thursday, October 21st, 2010 AT 11:54 AM
SQUALL8882
Itis a 2.2, and it restarts if I wait for awhile.
I started it up about 5 min ago and its still running but when it runs it runs fine and smooth. In the past it just randomly stops. It dies about after 5 min. I don't know anything about the codes.
Thursday, October 21st, 2010 AT 1:52 PM
KHLOW2008
When trouble codes are triggerred, the Check Engine Lamp would usually indicate. Get a free scan done at Autozone to retrieve for truble codes and let me know the EXACT code if any found.

If no codes aree present, then you need to recheck the sensors and wire harness for secure connections.
Friday, October 22nd, 2010 AT 8:13 AM
SQUALL8882
No codes were read ad the check engine light is off and it says 3 of the 7 sensior montors are complete.
All of my wires are connected but one by the coolant resevoir and altanator but it doesnt show any place to put it or where it goes.
Saturday, October 23rd, 2010 AT 2:15 PM
SQUALL8882
Recently I got the car codes
P0336
p0341
Im in the process of unpluging and repluging them in to fix them. But would that be the only issue?
Saturday, October 23rd, 2010 AT 3:30 PM
KHLOW2008
Either of these codes would cause the symptoms described and you have to get them rectified first.

They could be the only issues and P0341 takes precedence over P0336.

DTC P0336: CRANKSHAFT POSITION (CKP) SENSOR PERFORMANCE (2.2L - GASOLINE)

Description
Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor signal indicates crankshaft speed and position. CKP sensor is connected directly to PCM.

Code Enable Criteria

" DTC P0341 is not set.
" Engine is running.

DTC sets when CKP re-sync counter goes more than 15 times within 4 minutes and 15 seconds.

Diagnostic Procedure

1. Perform powertrain diagnostic system check. After performing powertrain diagnostic system check, go to next step.

2. Attempt to start engine. If engine starts, go to next step.

3. Observe FREEZE FRAME/FAILURE RECORDS data for this DTC. Turn ignition off for 30 seconds. Start engine. Operate vehicle within code enable criteria or close to FREEZE FRAME/FAILURE RECORDS data that you observed. If DTC failed this ignition cycle, go to next step. If DTC did not fail this ignition cycle, go to step
5.

CAUTION:Avoid contact with moving parts and hot surfaces while working around a running engine in order to prevent physical injury.

4. With engine running, wiggle electrical connectors of PCM and CKP and related circuits, while listening for engine to stumble. If engine stumbles, go to step
6 . If engine does not stumble, go to step 7 .

5. Operate any non-engine related electronic component on vehicle. Observe MED. RESOLUTION RESYNC COUNTER with scan tool. If MED. RESOLUTION RESYNC COUNTER on scan tool increments while operating any non-engine related electronic components, go to step 9 . If MED. RESYNC COUNTER on scan tool does not increment while operating any non-engine related electronic components, go to step 4 .

6. Turn ignition off. Check for a poor electrical terminal connection or replace terminal in circuit which caused engine to stumble. After repairs, go to step 12 .

7. If MIL illuminated in step 3 , go to next step. If MIL did not illuminate in step 3 , go to step 12 .

8. Turn ignition off. Check PCM and CKP sensor for rubbed through wire insulation or wiring being pinched. If problem was found, repair as necessary. After repair, go to step 12 . If problem was not found, go to step
10 .

9. Turn ignition off. Repair circuitry of malfunctioning or interfering component. Move any wiring that is causing interference away from CKP wiring harness. After repairs, go to step 12 .

10. Replace CKP sensor. Idle engine for 5 minutes, or until MIL turns on. If MIL turns on, go to next step. If MIL does not turn on, go to step 12 .

11. Turn ignition off. Idle engine for 5 minutes, or until
MIL turns on. If MIL turns on, see DIAGNOSTIC AIDS . If MIL does not turn on, go to next step.

12. Using scan tool, clear DTCs. Turn ignition off for 30 seconds. Start engine. Operate vehicle within code enable criteria. If scan tool indicates diagnostic ran and passed, go to next step.

13. Using scan tool, observe stored information.

Diagnostic Aids

" If the complaint was Engine Cranks But Will Not Run, you may set DTC P0336 when attempting to start the engine more than 15 times and the ignition is not turned OFF between attempts.

" An intermittent problem may be caused by the following conditions:
" Rubbed-through wire insulation.
" Poor electrical connections.
" Broken wire inside insulation.

" Thoroughly inspect any suspected circuitry for the following conditions:
" Backed-out terminals.
" Improper mating.
" Broken locks.
" Improperly formed terminals.
" Damaged terminals.
" Poor terminal-to-wire connections.
" Physical damage to the wiring harness.

" An intermittent can also be the result of a defective reluctor wheel. Remove crankshaft sensor and inspect reluctor wheel through hole.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_CMPLocation01CavalierFig06e_1.jpg

DTC P0341: CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT PERFORMANCE

Description
Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor indicates camshaft position so PCM can determine which cylinder is misfiring when a misfire is present. Whenever PCM receives an intermittent signal from CMP, CMP resync counter will increment.

Code Enable Criteria

" Engine is running.

DTC sets when PCM sees more than 15 CMP sensor re-syncs in 256 seconds (4 minutes 16 seconds).

Diagnostic Procedures

2. Turn ignition on, engine off. Connect scan tool. If no other DTCs are set, go to next step.

3. Start engine. Allow engine to idle. Observe CMP RESYNC COUNTER with scan tool. If CMP RESYNC COUNTER is incrementing, go to next step. If CMP RESYNC COUNTER is not incrementing, see DIAGNOSTIC AIDS .

4. Turn ignition off. Disconnect CMP sensor connector. See Fig. 6. Start engine. Observe CMP Resync on scan tool. If CMP resync counter stopped incrementing, go to next step. If CMP resync counter did not stop incrementing, go to step 7 .

5. Turn ignition off. Check CMP connector for poor connections. If problem was found, repair as necessary. After repair, go to step 9 . If problem was not found, go to next step.

6. Replace CMP sensor. After repairs, go to step 9 .

7. Disconnect PCM connectors. Check PCM connectors for poor connections. If problem was found, repair as necessary. After repairs, go to step 9 . If problem was not found, go to next step.

8. Replace PCM. After repairs, go to next step.

9. Using scan tool, clear DTCs. Turn ignition off for 30 seconds. Start engine. Operate vehicle within code enable criteria. If scan tool indicates diagnostic ran and passed, go to next step.

10. Using scan tool, observe stored information.

Diagnostic Aids

If PCM sees less than 15 re-syncs in 256 seconds, the counter is reset to zero. When a faulty
electrical connection is present, CMP reference activity counter will stop incrementing and CMP
Resync Counter will increment.

Fig. 6: Component Locations 2.2L

Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

Page 2 of 3
SELF-DIAGNOSTICS - 2.2L & 2.4L -2001 Chevrolet Cavalier
24/10/2010

Fig. 7: Component Locations 2.4L

Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

Page 3 of 3
24/10/2010
Sunday, October 24th, 2010 AT 1:09 AM