REAR BRAKES STICK

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier

joshua.martin

November, 15, 2007 AT 1:24 PM

Hello, I have a 2000 Cavalier, 2.2 L, 103000 miles, and I have had a brake issue for months now that I can't seem to figure out. When coming to a stop, the rear brakes seem to grab. The rear of the car squats and they make a squealing sound. The brakes seem to stick at this point. When I take off from the stop, I hear a loud pop and the rear of the car raises up as the brakes release. I temporarily remedied this by under adjusting the self adjusters but that only lasts for a short time. I have replaced the rear wheel cylinders and shoes. Any ideas?

merlin2021

November, 15, 2007 AT 3:36 PM

I don't know if it applies to your car, but evey few years GM goes thru a process of trying new linings, and usually it's a disaster. Call chevy and see if there are any TSB's on this issue. My bet is yes! Usually they revise the shoe lining and one or two springs in the combi kits. The other possibility is you put the secondary shoe on the front?

Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear