1999 Chevy Cavalier Stalls, Then cuts off.

DRMONEEJD
  • 1999 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
1999 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Automatic 150000 miles

My 99 Chevy Caviler will not run. I have replaced the ignition switch and it has not helped. Whenever I turn over the car, it will crank, but time youlet go of the key it shuts off. Also, the previous owner put another ignition cylinder(tumbler) in it. It fits fine, but only has two wires (i guess for a light) instead of the three the original had. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Sunday, March 28th, 2010 AT 12:41 PM

LEGITIMATE007
Firstly check the fuel pressure and check for spark. We have to rule those out first. Even though it may seem to point in another direction, these two components are the basis for an engine to run. Check your inbox. After you read this for some instructions
Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 AT 10:05 AM
LEGITIMATE007
http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_test_an_ignition_system.htm
Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 AT 10:06 AM
LEGITIMATE007
http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_check_fuel_pressure.htm
Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 AT 10:08 AM
DRMONEEJD
Thank you for your reply! Okay, I haven't checked them yet, but I felt I should tell you I did search a code machine while it was cut on, but obviously not running. The code came up P0335, which in the book is "crankshaft a position sensor circuit error". Does that help in any way, or should I still check these things?
Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 AT 3:33 PM
LEGITIMATE007
Thats good, that means either the crank sensor is bad or the computer is not communicating with it. First thing you need to do is replace the crank sensor
Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 AT 5:12 PM
DRMONEEJD
Okay, so that would fix the problem? I see the crank sensor is very affordable (around $10), but I dont know where it is located on the car. Could you please explain, or maybe tell me where I could look?
Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 AT 5:22 PM
DRMONEEJD
Well I switched the sensor. And it still does it. So I went to checking the first stuff, and realized I dont have any fuel pressure, but I can still hear the fuel pump running.
Friday, April 2nd, 2010 AT 8:22 PM
LEGITIMATE007
Ok, I think, that, we need the correct ignition switch before we go any further, anytime you have an extra wire, whether its for a light or not, its not the right switch. For all we know the extra wire might belong to a ground and the light. So. I think we need to take care of that first
Saturday, April 3rd, 2010 AT 7:10 AM
DRMONEEJD
Its funny you say that.I have put the new sensor in it, and replaced the fuel filter. I then found on the internet where the theft system on it must be reset with the right type of key or it cuts the fuel off.
Saturday, April 3rd, 2010 AT 7:29 PM
LEGITIMATE007
Right, I hadnt thought of the alarm/immobilizer, till just before I wrote the last post. That person cannot just put anything in there because it fits.
Saturday, April 3rd, 2010 AT 10:44 PM
DRMONEEJD
I agree. However, I was wondering, do you know if I need to get a specific ignition cylinder specifically for a 2.2L automatic, or are they not that picky?
Sunday, April 4th, 2010 AT 8:27 AM
LEGITIMATE007
The correct thing to do is, go to the parts store, and tell them your exact vehicle, and they will give you the correct. Switch.
Sunday, April 4th, 2010 AT 9:37 AM
DRMONEEJD
I agree. Thank you. But last question, do you know when I do get a new one, how much the chevy dealer would charge to reprogram it the key to the computer?
Sunday, April 4th, 2010 AT 12:06 PM
DRMONEEJD
Never mind. I bought the ignition cylinder and reprogrammed it, and it runs fine now. Thanks for your time :)
Monday, April 5th, 2010 AT 3:22 PM