1999 Chevy Cavalier 1999 Chevy Cavalier 2.2 Hard To Start

RAY7361
  • 1999 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
1999 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

Car Is Hard to start, it takes 5 to 6 seconds of cranking to start. I have replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, coolant temp. Sensor, plugs. Still has extended cranking. But found this out, I tried spraying wd-40 on coil packs and ignition module, I let it sit on it for a little bit, then it would start on first crank, turn ignition off, couple hours later it would start right up and let it sit over night and it would start first crank, run car for a little while and wd-40 would "wear off" and back to extended cranking. I replaced coils and ignition module with salvage yard parts but got same symptoms, also used di-electric grease on ignition parts, car once started runs perfect it has no misses and idles perfect. I also took car to Advance Auto Parts to scan for stored codes but they wouldn't scan car because the check engine light was not on, any advice would be helpful, Thanks ray7361
Monday, April 28th, 2008 AT 11:06 AM

SERVICE WRITER
Did you replace the boots that snap onto the plugs?
-1
Monday, April 28th, 2008 AT 11:24 AM
RAY7361
"Boots that snap onto plugs"? Spark plug wires. If so, no.
Monday, April 28th, 2008 AT 12:33 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Okay, you have the other one. And yes in that case plug wires. Somtimes you can get them to act up by misting water on them when the problem isn't present to expose it.
Monday, April 28th, 2008 AT 2:58 PM
RAY7361
What does "misting water" on the plug wires do, car does not have a miss, remember if I spray wd-40 on coils and module and I guess plug wires, after the wd-40 "soaks in" it starts the first try, do you think if I changed my plug wires it will help the extended cranking?
Monday, April 28th, 2008 AT 3:42 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Moisture can set into the wires, not providing good spark. Thus the reason you are spraing wd-40.A moisture displacing chemical. Since spraying the fluid on them results in the condition being absent temporarily, it would give the impression of bad wires.

If there are only two cylinders that are not firing in the AM when the problem happens, it isn't going to start. Bad wire can exhibit both a missfire or a no start such as you have. Does that mean that is your solution? No.

Misting the wires when the problem is NOT happening, but they start arcing, giving a runnibillity problem or stall, will help to narrow it down.
-1
Tuesday, April 29th, 2008 AT 6:07 AM
PH8ED4LIFE
Ray

I have the same problem I am trying to diagnose on a friends car, the exact same year, model, etc. It has started in this manner for years, and has gotten slightly worse lately.

Do you notice, when you are cranking it, when it finally catches and starts, it is rough to idle up and something under the hood or under the dash clicks real hard/loud?

Thanks!
Wednesday, April 30th, 2008 AT 11:04 PM
LARRY89
Hey I was just wondering if you found out what the permanent problem was I just recently bought a 99 cavalier with the exact same problem.
+2
Tuesday, April 5th, 2016 AT 11:47 AM