1998 Chevy Cavalier

TERRYS`
  • 1998 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
1998 Chevy Cavalier

ok we turned this in to a demo car last year well the? Is when we cycle the key three times the car will start and run for a few seconds then die why and how to fix it
Monday, August 30th, 2010 AT 1:12 PM

WRENCHTECH
When you cycle the key you are repeating the 2 second fuel pump prime which increases low fuel pressure. It sounds like you have a fuel pump failing or restricted for some reason.
-1
Monday, August 30th, 2010 AT 1:29 PM
TERRYS`
How can I by pass the security system on his cavalier
+3
Tuesday, August 31st, 2010 AT 9:04 PM
WRENCHTECH
You can't bypass the security system. I have a way to bypass the sensor in the ignition switch but the rest of the system has to remain operational. It doesn't sound like your having a Passlock issue anyway.
Do you have a flashing security light?
+5
Tuesday, August 31st, 2010 AT 9:07 PM
TERRYS`
Yea the theft light does then goes soled and it will start up then bye and flash again but how can I by pass the ignition switch
+2
Tuesday, August 31st, 2010 AT 9:13 PM
WRENCHTECH
Here's how you can bypass the sensor.

Go buy a 2.2k (2200 ohm) ohm resistor at an electronics store. Go to radio shack and just get one as close to that as you can. Remove the covers on the steering column and locate three small wires at the lock cylinder. Cut the yellow wire and the orange/black wire or on some vehicles, it's the yellow and black wires. Solder the resistor between those wires. Tape it up and put the covers back on and follow this relearn procedure. If this doesn't work you have a wiring problem in the steering column.
30 Minute Re-Learn Procedure
1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes ( the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock√ Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).
Important
The vehicle learns the Passlock√ Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
6. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock√ Sensor Data Code and/or password).
7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if desired (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles).
+1
Wednesday, September 1st, 2010 AT 4:16 AM
TERRYS`
Thanks I will try that
+1
Wednesday, September 1st, 2010 AT 10:22 AM
CAVALIER_DAD
I too have a 1998 cavalier z24 with passlock issues. My problem started with the key getting jammed and wouldn't turn far enough to engage the starter motor. A mechanic took the key assembly apart and got all the tumblers re-installed and now the key turns all the way to start, the starter motor engages but the engine won't run. Thinking the switch was damaged, I've installed the 2.2k ohm resistor to bypass the sensor. Now I'm trying to do the relearn sequence but the anti theft light never goes out. HELP!
Friday, October 22nd, 2010 AT 6:22 PM
WRENCHTECH
That would indicate there is another problem.
You really should start a new question to get some help.
Friday, October 22nd, 2010 AT 6:40 PM
BRADFOWLER86
Did the bypass work? I'm having the same issue, just need to know if it worked before I try it.
Wednesday, December 9th, 2015 AT 7:08 AM

Related Engine Stall While Driving Content

VIDEO