Engine no crank, anti theft light on steady?

DNDRRICH
  • 1997 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
97 cavalier ls, 2.2, 4 speed auto, wont crank tried to reset anti theft by trying to start engine and leaving key in on position ten minutes, no luck.
Friday, February 18th, 2011 AT 1:53 AM

SATURNTECH9
Does the starter turn the engine over?Also let me know if this is what you tried to reset it. If any of these parts are replaced, the vehicle may start and stall for 10 (ten) minutes (LONG TAMPER MODE). If this occurs, the system MUST go through a LONG TAMPER MODE cycle. During this time, the THEFT TELLTALE will be flashing for the full ten minutes. The IPC and PCM require the full ten minutes to complete a learn cycle. The Ignition Key MUST remain in the "RUN" position until the telltale stops flashing or the cycle will have to be repeated.

Here is a guide to help you reset the system by doing a hard reboot.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-reset-a-security-system

Please run down this guide and report back

Cheers
+1
Friday, February 18th, 2011 AT 2:00 AM
DNDRRICH
The starter does not ingage, no click.
Yes the restart senario you describe is correct howevere the anti theft is on even after the other instruement panal lights go out.
+1
Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 12:54 AM
SATURNTECH9
I looked up the factory anti theft on your car and when it engages it doesn't disable your starter it's disables your fuel injector's from getting fuel to the engine. So the starter being inop is the problem or a different problem. So let's start by getting your starter working and see if it start's then. First thing I want you to do is have your battery tested and make sure both your battery cable's are clean and tight. After you do that we will start tracing power from your ignition switch to your starter. Here is a description on how your anti theft work's.
The PASSLOCK System is designed to prevent vehicle operation if the mechanical key is not used to start the vehicle. The mechanical key, in normal operation, will turn the PASSLOCK Lock Cylinder. The PASSLOCK Lock Cylinder will relay a Resistance Code (R-Code) to the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC). The IPC will determine the validity of the R-Code within a preset time window started from an Ignition Switch input and will send a coded password to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). When the PCM receives the correct code, it will allow the Fuel Injectors to operate normally.
Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 1:09 AM
DNDRRICH
Cleaned battery tirminals. 12.5v at battery, engine ground pulled 12.2v at engine block. Battery holds charge.
-1
Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 2:19 AM
SATURNTECH9
The only true way to test a battery is to have it load tested. But we can still do some checking I would just leave the battery in question if it's good. Go to the neutral safety switch and have someone hold the key in the start position and see if you have battery voltage to the yellow wire and then check the purple wire on the neutral safety switch they should both have battery voltage with the key in the start position. Let me know what you find.
-1
Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 2:47 AM
DNDRRICH
I found out the two small wires from the ignition tumbler had broken once I fixed it the car started have not had a problem since, did need to remove the steering wheel and backing plate to do the job. Thanks for your help.
Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 7:56 PM
SATURNTECH9
Glad you could get it fixed, that kind of problem can be tough. Please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help

Cheers
Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 5:36 AM
RUCANADIAN
  • 1997 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
1997 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 229000 miles

hi thanks for taking the time to hopefully help me out,
i recently changed my starter, but before that I took the battery out for more than 24 hours, when I finally was done installing the new starter, I installed the battery, then when I went to start the car, it turned over but no start. I noticed the theft system light was 'on', not blinking, I called a few people, and they kept saying the same thing, put the key on for 10 min, then start, but nothing, then I called gm, and the said' start it, but leave it on for 40 min and then turn off and try to start it, but nothing.
What can be causing this problem? Please help me
thank you
Friday, March 2nd, 2018 AT 12:08 PM (Merged)
MMPRINCE4000
Turn key on
security light flashing
try to start and let go leave key on
security light flasher for about 10 min
when it stops
turn key off and start car
key needed to be reprogrammed
in some rear cases you may have to do that 3 times total of 30 min
TXSLINDSEY
I have the same problem and I have done this whole leave the key forward for ten minutes and when the light stops flashing then start it.I have to do this almost every time I start my car. It has been doing it for a week. So that is way more that 3 times. Why isn't my key being reprogrammed?
K-ROCK
  • 1997 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
1997 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 99500 miles

Half of the time when you crank the car the anti theft light comes on and it will not crank then you have to wait 10 minutes for it to reset. I've had a new ignition switch put on. Did not solve problem. Had the dash panel analyze, could not find no trouble.
Do you have any resolutions for this ill problem?

Thanks, Keith
MASTERTECHTIM
I usually find it is either the ignition switch and or the ignition cylinder. Hope this helps
CHAD SMITH
  • 1997 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
Four cylinder front wheel drive automatic

lost keys so I changed ignition switch. But anti theft will not let it start. I tried to reset it the way every one is saying to do, but I still cannot get it.
DAVE H
Let me know if this does/does not work? Or if this what you have previously tried

Description and operation:
Description
The PASSLOCK(R) system is designed to prevent vehicle theft by disabling the engine, unless a mechanical key is used to correctly engage the PASSLOCK(R) lock cylinder. System components include ignition switch, PASSLOCK(R) lock cylinder, Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC).
Operation
When mechanical key turns the PASSLOCK(R) lock cylinder, a Resistance Code (R-Code), is created by a rotating magnet turning past a stationary hall effect sensor. On all models this signal is sent to the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC). The IPC determines the validity of the R-Code within a preset time window, then send a coded password to the Power Control Module (PCM), which then allows the fuel injectors to operate normally.
If R-Code is not read within the preset time window, the Vehicle Theft Deterrent (VTD) system will go into SHORT TAMPER MODE. During this short tamper mode, the vehicle will not operate for 4 seconds and theft warning light will flash. After 3 consecutive failed timings, the VTD will go into LONG TAMPER MODE. During the long tamper mode, the fuel injectors will be shut off for 10 minutes and theft deterrent warning light will flash. If IPC receives the wrong R-Code, Vehicle Theft Deterrent will go into LONG TAMPER MODE. Vehicle may crank and temporarily start during tamper modes, but will soon stall due to fuel shut-off.
COMPONENT LOCATION
PASSLOCK(R) COMPONENT LOCATION
ComponentLocation
Ignition SwitchBelow Left Hand Side Of Steering Column
Powertrain Control Module (PCM)Right Hand Side Front Corner Behind Fascia
***************************************
PROGRAMMING
PASSWORD LEARN PROCEDURE
Attempt to start vehicle. Leave ignition on until THEFT SYSTEM indicator turns off. (Approximately 10 minutes). Turn ignition switch off. Attempt to start vehicle. If vehicle starts, password is learned.
***************************************
TROUBLE SHOOTING
Turn ignition switch to RUN position (engine off) and check theft deterrent warning light or bulb function. Crank engine. If engine does not crank, PASSLOCK(R) system is not at fault, repair no crank problem. See appropriate STARTER article in ELECTRICAL section. Start engine. If suspect vehicle stalls after start-up and theft deterrent warning light does not flash after vehicle has stalled, PASSLOCK(R) system has not been engaged and is not at fault. Check warning lights. If multiple warning lights are lit continuously, go to next step.
Use a scan tool to check for loss of serial data. See scan tool manufacturer's instructions. Using scan tool, ensure no DTCs are present. If any engine performance related DTCs are found, repair them as necessary. See appropriate TESTS W/CODES article in ENGINE PERFORMANCE section.
TESTS W/CODES - 2.2L
TESTS W/CODES - 2.4L
+5
JROMAJUSA
  • 1997 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
There is a theft system light that comes on on the instrument panel when I tried to start the car. When the light start to blink the car will not start, eventauly after 10 to 15 minutes the light will go off and the car will start again. I was told that the cause was the ignition switch, however I replace the switch but the problem remains.
WISEGUY_75
Do you have a remote starter on the car? Sometimes the Passlock II bypass module used is not set correctly. Causing the anti theft system to go on.
VAMPY
  • 1997 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
1997 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

my car only goes 10 miles per hr and the theft system light came on , I had to have it towed home whats up?
MMPRINCE4000
Reset security system, procedure is in owners manual but generally:

GM PASS LOCK RELEARN- Ignition to "run" position, try to start and let key return to "run" position.
Approx ten minutes security light will go off
Turn key "off" and wait 5 seconds
Repeat 2 more times for a total of 3 relearns.
Turn key off, then start it.
RG6131
  • 1997 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
Engine problem
1997 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

car was running fine when theft light came on and engine quit and will not start again. Is there a way to by pass theft system or disarm it
CZBONE
Check out this post:
http://www.2carpros.com/forum/1996-chevy-cavalier-thief-system-vt104333.html?highlight=

If it's Passlock (theft system), the car will start and then the fuel pump will cut out after a couple of seconds. Can't bypass it, it's a real pain. Had to have my instrument cluster replaced to fix the problem. If you do a Passlock search on Google, you'll come up with more info. Good luck.
+1