1. Raise and support vehicle. Allow suspension to hang free. Remove wheel. Remove cotter pin and castle nut that secures ball joint stud to steering knuckle. Use Ball Joint Separator (J-38892 ) to separate ball joint stud from steering knuckle.
2. Drill out rivets securing ball joint to lower control arm, being careful not to puncture axle shaft boot. Disconnect stabilizer bar from lower control arm. Remove ball joint.
NOTE: If ball joint cannot be removed because axle shaft is in the way, remove axle shaft nut (hub nut). Using Front Hub Spindle Remover (J-28733 ), press end of axle shaft through hub until enough clearance exists to allow ball joint to be removed.
1. Install ball joint, ensuring bolts are facing upward. Tighten bolts.
Engage ball joint stud into steering knuckle.
2. Install castle nut and new cotter pin.
3. To complete installation, reverse removal procedure. Check wheel alignment.
Please consider a to help us answer more questions.
Wednesday, April 1st, 2009 AT 5:56 PM