1995 Chevy Cavalier 1995 Cav, 2.2 L, headgasket leak

LEARNINGEVERYDAY
  • 1995 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
Hello!
Apparently the 95 2.2 L aluminum engine head was poorly designed causing a more often than not coolant leak; usually from the driver side, front corner of the head.

Over the year that I have owned it; the head gasket has leaked from the driver side, front corner of the head, about a teaspoon per day. Research would tell anyone to not buy this vehicle-but since I received it as a gift I don’t mind putting some money into it. The vehicle has 50,000 Km, and still smells new inside.

Today though I noticed something new, while revving the motor a little there are what looks like air bubbles coming from the leak, along with the usual few drops of coolant.

I plan to change the head gasget myself, but until I do, would tightening the one external corner head bolt or all five external head bolts 1 mm (or to the specified torque?) Help in stopping the leak? I am weary of this, for many obvious reasons.

I sicerely thank you for any responses.
Monday, September 22nd, 2008 AT 8:59 PM

BLACKOP555
Tightening down may help but the gasket is shot and the amount it will help will be hardly noticable.

Put on a new gasket.

Dont torque down that corner or youll warp the heads and no amoutn of gaskets will help.
Monday, September 22nd, 2008 AT 10:13 PM
LEARNINGEVERYDAY
Thank you Blackop555 for your fast response!
I appreciate my free question. If and when I use this site again I will be happy to give a donation.
Tuesday, September 23rd, 2008 AT 11:53 AM
BLACKOP555
Glad to help.

Have a great day and I hope you dont hesitate to post back if you ever have another problem.
Tuesday, September 23rd, 2008 AT 6:37 PM
DANDINKINS
Just to let you know I bought a '95 brand new had the head gasket replaced under recall at 100,000 miles at 387,000 the head gasket still leaks, I just clean out the sparkplug about once a month put fresh antifreeze in an good to go.
Saturday, December 13th, 2008 AT 12:03 AM
BLACKOP555
Check out your 02 sensors if you getting bad gas mileage by the way. When antifreeze burns in the exhaust it leaves a coating on the o2 sensors causing them to read lean, and resulting in the computer throwing more gas in the mixture to comphensate.
Saturday, December 13th, 2008 AT 9:18 AM
BLACKOP555
Saturday, December 13th, 2008 AT 9:21 AM
DANDINKINS
Mine just leaks on the outside of the engine but I have replaced the 02 sensers. Right now I need to replace two fuel injectors so I am not getting very good milleage, but normally I will be around 32 mpg in town 34-37 on the hwy. I dont care what anybody says this has been a great little car it is showing it milleage a bit but would not be afraid to drive it anywhere. I drive it for work now between 600 and 700 miles a week.
Saturday, December 13th, 2008 AT 2:20 PM
BLACKOP555
Good thing its leaking on the outside, that should affect performance at all!
Sunday, December 14th, 2008 AT 7:39 AM