CHEVY MASTER CYLINDER

1970 Chevrolet Caprice

shadyj

October, 15, 2008 AT 2:46 PM

1970 Chevy Caprice

Hi I've been working on and building street rods for about 40 years.I said that to let you know that I have a fair backround in autos.I have an mgb with a 800hp blown chevy in it so the parts are not from the same car.No matter what I do I CAN NOT get any brakes in the car and I mean none.I've changed te master cylinder and it made no difference.I've bleed them in every type of bleeding known to man.What I'm wondering now is if the pivit point of the pedal is pushing the pistons in the master cylinder far enough.My total stroke on the push rod is 11/16ths even though the pedal travel is over one foot because of the pivit point is only 1 1/2 inches from the push rod.How much travel is necessary for the master cylinder to function properly??? Tks John

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/256536_MGB4_1.jpg

jnovack

October, 15, 2008 AT 4:06 PM

What kind of master cylender do you have in it

shadyj

October, 15, 2008 AT 4:28 PM

1970 Caprise Classic

jnovack

October, 15, 2008 AT 4:39 PM

Ok now I can't find amount of travel in my books but ajust the push rod from peddle to buster then rebleed brakes. By the way cool car

shadyj

October, 15, 2008 AT 10:48 PM

Tks for the reply but I figured out the problem just before the first response. You guys were in the right part of the braking problem with the suggestion about the push rod adjustment but the problem was the distance between the pivit point of the pedal and the placement of the pushrod.I pulled the master cylinder and found that the total travel of the pushrod was not nearly enough to be effectively applying pressure to the brakes.I built the bracket so I guess it was my bad but tommorrow I'll fix that.I'm glad to have found a site like yours because while you didn't give me the exact right answer, you were in the right spot of the problem and would have provided the right answer if you were here to see the setup. Tks John

PS I will turn everybody I know in the street rod world on to this site for two reasons.1you seem to know your stuff and 2, they won't have to keep calling me for answers(lol)

jnovack

October, 15, 2008 AT 11:24 PM

Well thank you for the kind words

Camshaft Angle Sensor Replacement P0015
Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Ford Focus