Heres the latest that we have done;
1. Compression test dry 160 +/- 1 - 2 psi each cyl, wet 163 +/- 1 - 2 psi each cyl.
2. When we removed all the plugs to do the compression test they were black and smelled like fuel so we replaced them with ac delco platinum gapped at 50
3. New fuel pump and filter - a mechanic said it sounded to him like it was either not getting fuel or the exhaust was clogged. We took off the exhaust just before the new cat converter so we replaced the fuel pump and filter.
4. Also noticed that the fans don't come on. Checked the fans, relays, power at the relay center, all ok temp sensor is new replace it when replaced the water pump.
5. Spayed gumout into vacuum port for fuel relay in intake no idle change.
6. Pulled vacuum on fuel relay no idle change.
The engine will start and idle but will not accelerate past 1500 RPM and is slow getting that high. Backfiring has ceased.
Friday, September 21st, 2007 AT 8:19 PM