FUEL PUMP REPLACEMENT, IS IT WORTH IT?

1989 Chevrolet Camaro

ronnieg123

June, 3, 2006 AT 11:36 AM

We have an '89 Camaro RS (V-8, 5.7) with only 70,000 miles. A leaky fuel line has turned into replacement of the fuel lines, brake lines and now a fuel pump. Our mechanic has only replaced the fuel lines so far but the brake line was rotted with the fuel lines and he's not sure if the lines will hold at the wheel cylinders. The fuel pump replacement could lead to dropping the whole exhaust and rear end and he really thinks we could be throwing good $$ after bad. What do you think? He says we're looking at a minimum $1000 repair bill.

bigworm

June, 24, 2006 AT 12:35 AM

How good of condition is the car? Do you love it or not? Could you find another car for the amount of money you would put into this one? They only reason I ask these questions is because I love my car and would put the monet into it. Yes you do have to remove the exhaust and drop the rear end down to accsess the gas tank to replace the fuel pump. It should only take an expert 3.5 hours to do. I know this because I own my own shop. To do this job it should cost about 450.00 including rear brake lines.

Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Edge
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Mustang
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front