Won't turn over

GLDILLON
  • CHEVROLET BLAZER
My 1997 S-10 Blazer 4.3L 4x4 with 127000 miles will sometimes stall out in traffic and sometimes (becoming more often) will not turn over. Before this problem even started, I had installed new plugs, wires, cap and rotor, had the throttle body cleaned and fuel injection system cleaned. These problems started a couple weeks after the tune up.
The clues are this however: When I turn the key to start it, there are no dash lights present. If keep trying to turn the engine, which you can hear it trying to turn over, it will sometimes start when the dash light magically appears. The radio though isn't affected as it remains with power.
IS THIS A PROBLEM WITH THE IGNITION SWITCH ON THE STEERING CONSEL OR MAYBE A CRANK SHAFT SENSOR?
Tuesday, May 1st, 2007 AT 8:54 AM

MEATY
I had a similar problem with my 1994 a few years ago. I would guess, because you are not seeing any dash lights when you turn the key, that your problem is with something electrical, such as the ignition coil or or wires to the plugs or battery, but you did say that you did replace the wires, pluds, and cap. If you are hearing the engine crank but not fully turn over, then it probaly isn't your starter. If you hear no cranking when you turn the key, just a buzz or grinding sound, then it's the starter. Mine was a failing fuel injector regulator. It was flooding the engine with fuel so It would crank but not turn over. I had to replace the fuel injector spider. The stalling while you are driving sounds like an EGR oxygen sensor valve that is dirty and sticking shut.
Thursday, May 3rd, 2007 AT 11:11 AM
GLDILLON
Thanks meaty!
I noticed when I attempted to start it again this morning, that the dash lights flicked on and it immediately started up. While letting it idle for about only 15 seconds, the dash lights, which is now just a fasten seat belt light (what I mean is the dash lights you would notice when you turn the key to start the engine) turned off as well as the engine. What does work however, is the radio, headlights, and nighttime dash lights.
I think I am narrowing it down to the ignition switch!
PS>
It does crank over and over.
Thursday, May 3rd, 2007 AT 11:24 AM