1994 Chevy Blazer front axle seal and bearing

FRANK2009
  • 1994 CHEVROLET BLAZER
Thanks for any help anyone could give me.
My driver side front axle seal went out. So I replased it, the bearing I didn't think was too bad.
But in less then a week the seal went out again.
The bearing looks like it comes out fron the axel side. My question is how does the bearing come out?
Do I have to take the differential apart?
It has what looks like a large nut with a number of teeth on it. That seams to hold the bearing in. Does this come out?
If so how? Are there anyother reason the seal would go out and not be the bearing?
Frank
Thursday, March 12th, 2009 AT 3:45 AM

MASTERTECHTIM
Frank dont touch that nut. Your seal is leaking most likely from either a bad seal, wrong seal. If that bearing was gone your front diff would sound like a cement mixer. I have seen a few times that the seals are installed with the wrong seal, a little too big. Make sure the next seal fits snug to the axle shaft and the axle shaft is not worn where the seal rides. Also make sure the front diff is not overfull. And also make sure the vent tube on diff is clear
Thursday, March 12th, 2009 AT 6:42 AM
FRANK2009
Mastertechtim
I agree, the autopart store wherer my son picked it up 4 me said it would work. It was different.I say it was not the right size.I'll have to go to the dealer or somewhere to give me the right one.I still have the old one.I was told just because they don't look a like don't mean it wont work.

I didn't think to look at the shaft, if there was anythin g on it it would cut the seal.

IThere was some nose, but it was due to lost oil.
Thanks again
Frank
Friday, March 13th, 2009 AT 2:55 AM
MASTERTECHTIM
The axle shaft where the seal rides will have a ring worn in it. But its unlikely. My money is on the wrong seal. Sorry for the delay
Tuesday, March 17th, 2009 AT 5:59 AM
MASTERTECHTIM
Another note. The seal if you look at it to the right one from the dealer you should be able to see the inside diameter to be bigger on the aftermarket one. There has to be a fairly good size difference because it takes a real sloppy fit for a axle seal to leak. They dont have to be tight to not leak because the oil is so thick. Even if there is a ring groove on axle, the right seal will in m ost cases work
Tuesday, March 17th, 2009 AT 6:01 AM