2004 Chevy Avalanche A/C intermittant

MOEFUN
  • 2004 CHEVROLET AVALANCHE
When I start the truck in the morning the a/c works fine for a while or till I turn off the vehicle. Sometimes it will come back, sometimes it won't. Is it a climate control problem that most avalanches have or a pressure switch?
Thursday, August 12th, 2010 AT 11:21 AM

MERLIN2021
Can I get a bit of detail? Have you checked for leaks? Tested refrigerant charge? Count the time between the compressor first starting, and when it shuts of, and then starts again, know as cycling? Scanned for B and or U codes? And when you do check this stuff, I would like the temperature and humidity if you can. Low freon charge can cause the compressor to cycle too much, but feel cold, until you get on the highway, then if you drive like me, 65-70 mph, the cooling will diminish but not completely disappear. So the more detail and tests, the more accurate the diagnosis will be.
-2
Thursday, August 12th, 2010 AT 3:38 PM
MOEFUN
No leaks, charge is good (44psi when comp is running), no codes showing when scaned. I tried changing out the compressor relay. This is what has me baffeled and thinking it's something in the climate control.
Thursday, August 12th, 2010 AT 6:14 PM
KEN
Hey Moefun

I have seen where the AC compressor clutch coil shorts out and not allowing the compressor to engage. Some of these you can just replace the coil but others you must replace the compressor.

When the ac is not working take a test light and see if the compressor is getting power if so the unit is bad and needs replacement.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-air-conditioner-compressor

Please run some tests and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Best, Ken

-1
Tuesday, December 6th, 2016 AT 5:29 PM