1998 Chevy Astro Starting troubles

PODHALAN
  • 1998 CHEVROLET ASTRO
I have a relay hard time with this one.
The van won’t start and stay running. I can start it and make it run for 2 to 5 seconds at a time by first pumping accelerator pedal a few times. With out the pumping it will not start at all.
Replaced the fuel pump last year. I can hear it running.
The van has 270,000 miles on it.
I had it parked since last November, drove it one time in January with no problems. I can’t keep it running to do any checks at all.
I have noticed a water leak through the windshield, when key is turned on / off to start the van my door locks go nuts. This issue might have some water licked on some electronics.

in short:
It back fires at times when I try to start it.
It will start for few seconds at times.
When it starts for the few seconds and I press the accelerator it dies, if I do not press the accelerator it it will die too.

Could have something freeze and break over the winter?
Could this have something to do with fuel pressure regulator?[/Quote:fe9d8308ff]
Wednesday, April 8th, 2009 AT 11:48 AM

RICH CRITES
Change the fuel filter. It may be dirt in the gas tank. A fuel pump going bad. You can put a fuel pressure gage on the fuel line to see how much psi you are getting.
Wednesday, April 8th, 2009 AT 1:36 PM
PODHALAN
Will do, in fact I have sent my Bro-in-law to get one before I red this replay. Thanks.
I am yet to check the fuel pressure, I can hear the pump, just replaced it 8 months ago.
One thing doh. Tried to start it with a Quick Start spray, spraying directly into the throttle body. While doing that the van keeps on running.
Wednesday, April 8th, 2009 AT 6:48 PM
PODHALAN
One thing doh. Tried to start it with a Quick Start spray, spraying directly into the throttle body. While doing that the van keeps on running.[/Quote:93b47f9323]

Repleaced the filter. No change.
The spark is OK.
Actually I need to correct my statement. The van runs for only 2 to 3 seconds not 5 to 8 then dies right up. What would be the correct fuel pressure?
52 psi at the pump and 59 psi when running?
Wednesday, April 8th, 2009 AT 7:39 PM