1994 CHEVY ASTRO CRANKS BUT WON'T START

• Michaelpe24
  • 1994 Chevrolet Astro

1994 Chevy Astro 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 208000 miles

I have a 94 Chevy Astro van I went to start it on friday it started and died. I replaced the timing chain because it had been backfiring through the throttle body so I thought it was the timing chain was worn. Now it still won't start. Any suggestions on what it could be? It is getting fuel to the throttle body and it is getting spark.

Monday, March 9th, 2009 AT 9:26 PM

• JDL

Hello, with the engine cranking, you can see an injector spray pattern, TBI? Can you check for codes?

Wednesday, March 11th, 2009 AT 12:27 PM
  • Michaelpe24

Yes I can see that it is getting fuel I figured out I am getting spark to the distributer cap but not to the plugs the cap and rotor are both new and new plug wires

Wednesday, March 11th, 2009 AT 8:47 PM
  • JDL

Hi, does the rotor turn when you crank the engine? If all those parts are new and the rotor turns, I don't know why you don't have spark at the plugs. If the rotor wasn't turning, I don't believe the injectors would pulse. No rpm signal.

Even if there is an injector spray pattern, that doesn't mean the pressure is ok. I've seen injector spray patterns that looked good to me, but the pressure was half of what it should have been.

Did you ever check for codes?

Wednesday, March 11th, 2009 AT 11:02 PM
  • Michaelpe24

I figured it out it was a bad rotor. Got a new one this morning brought it home and put it in and the van started. Thanks for your time and help

Thursday, March 12th, 2009 AT 10:24 AM
  • JDL

Glad you got it going.

Thursday, March 12th, 2009 AT 11:51 AM