CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS STAYS ON DON'T WORK WELL

2002 Ford Explorer

marklinty

June, 3, 2013 AT 3:26 PM

Vehicle had a rough idle for some time. Then I had an overheating problem, the thermostat housing got damaged. Installed a new Housing with a new Thermostat then vehicle started working bad, rough idle and the Chek engine light came on. Had the MAF, Coolant Temp, TPS, Temp Sensors replaced and the Spark plugs and ignition Wires replaced. Worked a little better while it was cold but as it heated up it started working with a rough idle and sometimes cuts off. Whiel checking on it I noticed the Exhaust pipes were Flaming red hot. I removed the Catalytic converter and inspected it, the same thing happened So I replaced the Led wires and the converter stopped Flaming. But the check lights is still on and using a ODB2 I got a P0171 registered. Would the O2 sensor alone solve my problem? Thank you for any help.

Jacobandnickolas

June, 7, 2013 AT 5:20 PM

The O2 sensor is what detects how rich or lean the engine is running. I would try that first. Now, for the converter that was red hot. That is usually an indicator that it is plugged. Make sure it is free flowing.