Check engine code said EGR valve stuck closed

• 33 POSTS
  • 1993 FORD F-150

My truck has a bad vibration when accelerating but idles perfect. It took a few weeks of this before the check engine light came on and when it did I took it to a shop and had it put on the diagnostic machine. The only code that came up was egr valve stuck closed. So I took it off and cleaned it real good. Got the spring moving freely again and put it all back together and still the same. So I replaced the $90 EGR valve. Same thing. Checked voltage in the position sensor. Had correct voltage that the book says it should have. Checked the vacuum lines and they crumbled in my hand. All of them dry rotted. So tonight I replaced all the vacuum lines to egr and charcoal cannister. And every other vacuum line I could find. And yep. Same thing. WTH? Does anyone have a suggestion to go to from here?

Friday, December 27th, 2013 AT 8:42 PM

The vibration on acceleration could be a spark plug or spark plug wire breaking down under stress. However, at idle (when there is not much stress, it behaves normally. You will need to have your truck's ignition system connected to a "engine analyzer" or some equipment which can allow the mechanic to read its electrical pattern.

The same goes for the fuel injectors.

Friday, December 27th, 2013 AT 9:22 PM