Check engine light came on after sparks were changed

LMCNALLY@YANDEX.COM
  • 1997 FORD F-150
  • RWD
Check engine light has been on for a year and a half or more. A couple months ago the truck began starting rough in the morning. (Backfiring, smoking unless I give it gas). I put in new spark plugs and wires and it started nicely and check engine light was off. One day later check engine came back on and three days later and it had rough morning start. Could this be under tightened spark plugs?
Thursday, June 30th, 2016 AT 2:54 PM

I kind of doubt it, but check when engine is cold. then scan for codes and check fuel pressure with a gauge auto parts rent it.
https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator
+1
Thursday, June 30th, 2016 AT 3:37 PM
LMCNALLY@YANDEX.COM
Thank you for your answer. Like you say, I am going to wait until it is cold and check the torque first.
Thursday, June 30th, 2016 AT 4:51 PM
LMCNALLY@YANDEX.COM
Would you happen to have any other ideas on what it might be would you? I appreciate your help.
Thursday, June 30th, 2016 AT 4:55 PM
Where did you see the smoke coming from and what color was it?
+1
Thursday, June 30th, 2016 AT 8:27 PM
LMCNALLY@YANDEX.COM
I do not actually see smoke. On the first cold start of the day it pops and sputters and I smell a whiff of smoke. Smells like gas I think. I usually try to give it enough gas where it does not sputter much. After that first start it runs pretty smooth the rest of the day although going up hills it pings a bit. Thanks for answering my question. It stopped this sputtering after installing the plugs and wires but today (a few days after installation) it did the same thing on start up. The check engine light came back on in about a day.
+1
Thursday, June 30th, 2016 AT 8:43 PM
What trouble code are you getting?
Thursday, June 30th, 2016 AT 8:52 PM
Since the problem happens on cold start up, I am questioning the coolant temperature sensor. This sensor tells the computer the engine's temperature and then the computer determines the air fuel mixture needed for the engine to run. It could be dumping fuel. Also, a bad fuel pressure regulator could be an issue as well. Since you smell gas, this could be an issue.
Thursday, June 30th, 2016 AT 8:54 PM
LMCNALLY@YANDEX.COM
Would new spark plugs be able to affect the issue at all as they seem to have done? I need to get to the auto parts store tomorrow to check the code, but it seems weird that the problem seemed solved and then came back.
Thursday, June 30th, 2016 AT 8:58 PM
Different feller

Did you get the same ole kinda plugs you had?

Sometimes taking the auto guys advice and using the 'super dooper made in heaven' plugs just don't work out. I've seen folks get those types with the "needle" type electrode plugs, attempt to gap them, but wind up gnarling up the dainty electrode.

The auto parts stores can read your codes, usually a free service. Write down the actual code numbers (not meanings) They will be the most helpful thing everyone has been asking for.

The Medic
Saturday, July 2nd, 2016 AT 5:43 AM