Car won't start, before that car started missfireing

RECUSE
  • 1999 CHRYSLER CIRRUS
I have a Hanes manual, tried to run the tests discribed in the book for no start. Came to the auto shutdown relay, the book says terminal 86 should only have voltage present when the key is on. There is voltage present at all times on both terminal. 86 & 30. What would cause this?
Monday, March 24th, 2014 AT 8:12 PM

There is supposed to be voltage at both of those terminals with key on. One is hot and the other is hot when key Is turned on to activate the relay. Best thing here is to try to scan for codes if you have one available then try wiggle test on crank sensor and finally check crank sensor. Those are the two biggest culprits for a no start. If you wiggle the connection and it starts then you may need a new connector.
Tuesday, March 25th, 2014 AT 6:00 AM
RECUSE
I realize there is supposed to be voltage to both of those terminals when the key is on but when the key is off there should only be voltage to one of them and there is voltage to both. I will check the crankshaft position censor and get back to you.
Tuesday, March 25th, 2014 AT 9:35 AM
RECUSE
We have put a code scanner on the car and it won't read for some reason.
Tuesday, March 25th, 2014 AT 9:39 AM
Check fuses underhood first then probe wires to see if it has power one should it may be a bad connection. Scanner has to have key on to work.
Tuesday, March 25th, 2014 AT 12:20 PM
Also check coil here are numbers to relate to it.
Disconnect distributor 2-pin connector. Using an ohmmeter, measure resistance between terminals. If resistance is. 66-. 8 ohm, go to next step. If resistance is not. 66-. 8 ohm, replace ignition coil.
Measure resistance between coil tower and each terminal of distributor 2-pin connector. Resistance should be 12, 000-18, 000 ohms. If resistance is not as specified, replace ignition coil.
Tuesday, March 25th, 2014 AT 12:23 PM