Car starts but does not stay running

MARYDONNELLY1
  • 1990 FORD F-150
The truck cranks over and starts but does not stay running. Also, I noticed that the ignition has moisture on it. I do not drive this vehicle on a daily basis so I try to start it at least every week during the winter to keep the battery charged (it was running last week). I can honestly say I have not had this happen to me on any of my vehicles so have no idea what is going on. I did have some work done on it in Oct, i.E gaskets and heater core, but didn't have any trouble until now. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
Tuesday, January 6th, 2015 AT 1:04 PM

The first thing I recommend is to have the fuel pressure tested. You may have a pump going bad. Do that and let me know what you find.
Wednesday, January 7th, 2015 AT 5:35 AM
MARYDONNELLY1
I had the fuel pump/filter replaced in Jun 13 so assumed that was still good. They tell me that the pressure is now but still within acceptable range. Any other suggestions? This sure has me stumped.
Thursday, January 8th, 2015 AT 2:22 PM
You know, this is a tough one. If it starts and then stalls, either there is an issue with spark or fuel pressure. If you are certain that the fuel pressure is good, then we should look at the ignition system. Has anyone checked the crank sensor?
Thursday, January 8th, 2015 AT 7:13 PM
MARYDONNELLY1
I came to the same conclusion. It is probably an ignition or vacuum problem although everything I tried says everything should be working. It's very frustrating -- but at least I'm not bored!
Saturday, January 10th, 2015 AT 3:23 PM
It can keep you busy and thinking for sure! I have to ask, how was the fuel pressure tested and how have you checked spark?
Monday, January 12th, 2015 AT 5:55 AM
MARYDONNELLY1
I found the problem. It was the EEC relay. I replaced it and it started (and stayed running) right away. Haven't had any problems since Monday -- been driving it back and forth to work this week. HOORAY!
Wednesday, January 14th, 2015 AT 1:09 PM
Great! I'm glad you got it fixed. I was thinking about the EEC, but since you said it starts then stalls, that didn't fit for me. The eec shuts down both the spark and fuel so usually it won't start at all.
Wednesday, January 14th, 2015 AT 6:12 PM