Service suspension warning

DAN AUSTIN
  • 1999 CADILLAC STS
Suspension problem V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 135000 miles

I replaced the original rear electronic shocks with regular air shocks. The system works well but I get a message to service suspension system-speed limited to 90 mph. How can I clear this message?
Monday, March 22nd, 2010 AT 9:38 AM

FACTORYJACK
You won't be able to clear it since the electronically adjustable shocks have been removed. Essentially, you created open circuits where the strut damper actuators used to be. I have heard of some aftermarket sources that provide resistors to bypass the system, I do not know of any sources.
Monday, March 22nd, 2010 AT 10:54 PM
DAN AUSTIN
I was told that prior to the North Star, there was a kit for that, but not with North Star engine.
Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010 AT 7:37 AM
FACTORYJACK
The only thing I could suggest, and I don't know if it will work or not, is to measure the resistance of the strut actuator and try a resistor of that size in place. Take into consideration the internal resistance of the meter, they usually run about.30 to.40 ohm. You can determine this by touching the leads together, the reading you get will be the resistance of the leads/meter combined.
+1
Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010 AT 9:51 AM
DAN AUSTIN
Thanks for your reply. I cut off the actuator to see how the thing works, and that is kinda the direction I was looking to go. I am getting.2 ohms on just the tester, and 11.9 - 12 ohms at test, so net 11.7. I will post my results.
+1
Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010 AT 11:05 AM
DAN AUSTIN
I was able to figure out how to get rid of the message. "Service suspension system" & "Speed limited to 90 mph" it worked!
Wednesday, April 14th, 2010 AT 6:38 AM
JHJ
Dan Austin I have that problem u got with the speed limited to 90. What exactly did u do to fix your problem.
-1
Monday, September 18th, 2017 AT 7:36 AM