2004 Cadillac SRX High mount light repair

FLYINBRAVE
  • 2004 CADILLAC SRX
  • AWD
I am replacing the high mount light on the back of the car. The screws they sawy are stripped and they have to break the light on there to get it off and they may scratch or dent the car. Then I will have to pay to have that fixed.
Any suggestions?
Teresa
Tuesday, April 14th, 2009 AT 9:06 AM

FACTORYJACK
I would probably go for a larger drill bit and drill the heads off the bolts, this might require liftgate removal. Have you researched this? The reason I ask, is the procedure for lamp replacement is a bit more involved than just removing screws. I will paste it for you, from GM service manual.

High Mount Stop Lamp Replacement
Removal Procedure
Remove the liftgate. Refer to Liftgate Replacement in Body Rear End.
Remove the fasteners securing the high mounted stop lamp to the liftgate.
Separate the rear edge weatherstrip of the bezel from the liftgate. Use a plastic flat-bladed tool to release the adhesive strip from the liftgate.
Disconnect the high mounted stop lamp electrical connector from the wiring harness.
Separate the front edge weatherstrip from the bezel. Use a plastic flat-bladed tool to release the adhesive strip from the bezel.

Remove the fasteners securing the high mounted stop lamp to the bezel.
Remove the high mounted stop lamp from the bezel.
Installation Procedure
Clean any tape residue from the liftgate and the high mounted stop lamp bezel with a 50/50 mixture by volume of isopropyl alcohol and water.
Use a clean lint-free cloth to wipe dry the liftgate, the high mounted stop lamp, and the bezel.
Install the high mounted stop lamp to the bezel.
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Install the fasteners that secure the high mounted stop lamp to the bezel.
Tighten
Tighten the high mounted stop lamp fasteners to 2 N m (18 lb in).

Peel back the protective cover to expose the bezel side adhesive tape edge of the new rear edge weatherstrip.
Position the notches on the new rear edge weatherstrip to the high mounted stop lamp bezel.
Press the new rear edge weatherstrip onto the high mounted stop lamp bezel.

Connect the high mounted stop lamp electrical connector to the wiring harness connector.
-1
Tuesday, April 14th, 2009 AT 10:02 PM