Brake light switch

PAPA1382
  • 2000 CADILLAC ESCALADE
Having a horrible time replacing the brake light switch on my 2000 Escalade.
I Read the other post. Still not too clear. Did you have pictures or diagram? I can't get the old one out.
Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 AT 4:59 PM

FACTORYJACK
Stop Lamp Switch Replacement
Removal Procedure
For information on stoplamp circuit diagnosis, refer to Lighting Systems in Body and Chassis; and Electrical Diagnosis.

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

For Vehicles equipped with OnStar (UE1) with Back Up Battery:

The Back Up Battery is a redundant power supply to allow limited OnStar functionality in the event of a main vehicle battery power disruption to the VCIM (OnStar module). Do not disconnect the main vehicle battery or remove the OnStar fuse with the ignition key in any position other than OFF. Retained accessory power (RAP) should be allowed to time out or be disabled (simply opening the driver door should disable RAP) before disconnecting power. Disconnecting power to the OnStar module in any way while the ignition is On or with RAP activated may cause activation of the OnStar Back-Up Battery (BUB) system and will discharge and permanently damage the back-up battery. Once the Back-Up Battery is activated it will stay on until it has completely discharged. The BUB is not rechargeable and once activated the BUB must be replaced.

Disconnect the battery negative cable.
Disable the SIR. Refer to Disabling the SIR System .

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/309872_156233_1.jpg

Remove the pushrod retainer from the brake pedal pin. Use snap ring pliers.
Unsnap the stoplamp switch from the pushrod.
Disconnect the electrical connector from the stoplamp switch.
Installation Procedure

Connect the electrical connector to the stoplamp switch.
Snap the stoplamp switch onto the pushrod.
Install a new pushrod retainer on the brake pedal pin. Use an 11 mm (7/16 in) socket in order to push a new clip onto the pin.
Connect the negative battery cable.
Enable the SIR. Refer to Enabling the SIR System in Supplemental Inflatable Restraints.
+2
Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 AT 10:53 PM
DRTIMUSELTON
  • 2000 CADILLAC ESCALADE
I need some DETAILED step by step directions (with pictures if you have em) of how to replace a brake light switch under the steering column. I found other directions that say "remove pushrod retainer from the brake pedal pin (?) And unsnap the stoplamp switch form the pushrod and disconnect the electrical connector from the stoplamp switch" and then replace and do in reverse. This is far too difficult to do if one does not know what all these mentioned parts look like and I cannot find them online to see what they might look like. ANY HELP WOULD BE greatly appreciated as my car will not go out of park and Im hoping this will be my fix!
Tuesday, April 16th, 2019 AT 6:37 PM (Merged)
Actually you should take it to a pro because there is a switch on the shifter called the avits. If it gets power and still doesn't unlock the shifter then it's the avits. If I remember correctly you can unlock it with a screwdriver from the side on the passenger side of the shifter. Sometimes you have to take the console off though. Look next to the shifter if it's on the console. If you see a little piece of plastic and it will say park release. It will look like a little bump. Pop that up and srick a screwdriver straight down and you shold be able to release it from park. Otherwise you'll have to take the console apart.
-2
GJJ25
  • 2000 CADILLAC ESCALADE
2000 Cadillac Escalade V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

how to change a brake light switch on a 2000 esclade.

The switch is located above the brake pedal.
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Twist it and it comes out. The stop light extension harness has a little metal bar on it. Push this down and the switch pops right off.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!
+1
GJJ25
The brake switch is locatd above the steering column and up and in behind the dash. The only way I that I saw in was through the dash.
I was asking if thre was an asier way. I could not find the stop light extension harness

i did look for it
BLUELIGHTNIN6
? Stoplight switch is mounted on top of brake pedal
+1
GJJ25
Yes the brake light switch is located at the top of the pedal. Close to the inner part of the dash.
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Okay, all research I have found looks like you will need to remove the lower underside panel of column in order to gain access to switch.
GJJ25
So does this mean I dont have to take the entire dash apart.
-1
ALFRED LEE GAMEZ
  • 2000 CADILLAC ESCALADE
I have no brake lights when I step on the brake. I have replaced the tail lights, brake switch up by the brake pedal checked for a blow fuse and still nothing. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Al
-1
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Not entire dash, no. Should just remove panel that is above brake pedal to gain access. Usually contains 4 - 6 bolts in panel.
JOHNNY G.JR
Have assistant press brake pedal and check for twelve volts at brake light socket.
GJJ25
Yes I did take that off. But I did not see a way in. But I will look again. Thanks a million man. I do owe you. This has been a lot of help.
Okay Boss,

I have no miracle Answer for you. Sorry!

I do best with real Jeeps and other carbureted vehicles.

I did get you a map with lots of twists and turns, too complicated for me to text you all you need/ should see with your own eyes.

Maybe it will show you stuff you have not thought of, or had no idea it was involved.

We have access to "Prodemand", using the information you provided, I was able to a diagram of "exterior lights" for you rig.

This includes fuses, switches, etc and locations of some of the stuff.
Bad thing is, I cannot just click and copy a lot of their stuff, as they are a "pay" repair manual.

I had to make three separate screen shots, crop out the rest of my computer screen, name, save as, save them in my pictures, just so I could get them to you.

I insured all three overlap so that no part was lost.

First picture is top/ second is middle/ third is bottom

I had to make three separate screenshots, then crop out the the edges of my screen.

So,

These are easy to trace, locations (such as a relays/ fuses, etc.) Are listed beside them.

It might be easier to begin with the lights (bottom diagram) work your way through the system sort of backwards, as starting at the top might lead you around like a maze!

Let me know if this helps you out!

If not, continue to respond, other experts from here sometimes jump in to help out as well.

RAYMONTE1
  • 2000 CADILLAC ESCALADE
My brake lights and rear center light went out. It happened before and I wiggled the wires under the brake pedal and they came back on. AutoZone told me the brake switch, but I dont think it is that. The cruise control works, which he told me would not work if it was the switch?
JIM454
The cruise ONLY would fail if brake switch was stuck closed (brake lights on all the time- until they burn out). The far more common failure is a stuck open condition. It is a cheap, all plastic piece of junk; a design that should NEVER have been used, as it serves as a very important safety device! Remember, it also operates the transmission interlock.