I REPLACED STRUTS WITH ONES THAT YOU CAN'

2000 Cadillac DTS

Slikrik030

October, 29, 2009 AT 6:38 PM

Suspension problem
2000 Cadillac DTS V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

The Struts on my DTS needed to be replaced when I bought this car. The price was like $980.00 a piece for the stock replacements. I had them replaced with the ones that don't have the computer hook up for the ride hight I believe. Well the car rides great but now can't get the ABS light off. I heard from someone that there is a diode or something that you can attach to fool the computer. Is this true? If someone could answer this, it would be a big help.
Thanx,
Rick

Replacing Rear Struts

Rear Strut

Ernest Clark

March, 12, 2010 AT 11:39 PM

No, that's not true. If you install a diode, or anything else for that matter, in your ABS circuit, you will destroy your computer. Also, your struts have absolutely nothing to do with your ABS system.

Your ABS computer uses " Wheel Speed Sensors" that are small magnets mounted to the inside of the wheel hub/brake rotors. These small sensors tell the computer how fast each wheel is turning, and when you apply the brakes, how fast each wheel slows down.

When your computer detects one/more wheels slowing down faster than another, or not turning at all (wheel lock), it pulses the brakes on/off several times per second in order to regain traction to that wheel, and thus your control over the car.

Your struts have nothing to do with this. Some strut options will have ride-height controls, automatic damping adjustments, etc. But whoever charged you $980 per strut ripped you off, and in a big way!

And whoever ripped you off (and installed the struts) may have failed to reinstall the wheel speed sensors correctly. But keep in mind, these sensors sometimes fail themselves, and yours may have been ready to go anyway.

gonefishin1282

April, 1, 2010 AT 9:36 AM

Ufortunately. The customer is not getting ripped off.I have just crossed this bridge with a customer of my own. We realized it was an electric strut, so we called the dealership. List on these bad boys is $962.88 each. Needless to say. We're not installing struts on that car!

Air Shock Replacement Mercedes Benz S Class
Shock Replacement - Front Chevrolet Silverado
Upper Control Arm Replacement
Leaf-Spring Squeak Repair - All Cars
Sway Bar Link Replacement Chevrolet Silverado