1999 Cadillac Deville Turn Signal or Blinker Problem Works

BASSMUSICIAN
  • 1999 CADILLAC DEVILLE
I have a problem with my Cadillac that I don't know how to get fixed. The turn signals, are Intermittent, in other words, they will just stop working, then randomly start working again. I would imagine it's some type of short somewhere, but I have no idea how to find where. Now when the turn signals stop, the flashers will work fine, all four, but when the turn signals stop, they are totally stopped, not one light on not flashing, or anything like that, just nothing. Then when they decide to start working again, they work fine again, until the next time they stop. I've tried jiggling the turn signal stick nothing. I've checked the little fuses, they seem ok. I just had a brand new alternator put on it (they went thru 3 alternators before they got a re-built one that worked) and he told me that should fix the turn signal problem too, but it hasn't. Also, sometimes the car will "Jack itself up" in the rear, way high. Then days later, go back down. I can live with that, but the blinker or turn signal problem, I can't. I couldn't afford a ticket, plus using hand signals is dangerous. Please, does anyone have any ideas on what I can do? I'm a disabled man, and very broke, any help would be greatly apprieciated.
Sunday, September 20th, 2009 AT 8:17 PM

FACTORYJACK
I would try a flasher unit at first, there is a separate one for turn signals. It is tucked up under the dash, near the steering column. When they are working, you may be able to locate it by noise. If you need to use process of elimination, turn on the hazards and identify that flasher. You can swap them for diagnostic purposes.
+1
Monday, September 21st, 2009 AT 11:40 PM
BASSMUSICIAN
Thanks so much for replying to my question! You know, now that you mention that flasher, it seems it used to be "louder" than it is now? I just assumed that since the flashers always worked, it was not that. I didnt know there were two. So you say the one for emergency flashers is the same and I can swap them just to see if that is the problem?
Thanks again, if this works you will have done a good deed for a man who has had the worse year of his life!
Jack
+1
Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009 AT 9:12 PM
BASSMUSICIAN
I was going to try swapping flashers as you recommended, but I notice the Hazard flasher makes no sound when it blinks, and another thing I noticed is this, ok say they aren't working or stop working, "Sometimes" if I leave the blinker on, and turn the steering wheel back and forth, they will start working again. Which makes me think it may be a short, or bad turn signal switch insite the steering coloumn or something. I will try to buy a new flasher, but if its inside the wheel, is that a big deal to take the wheel off and replace the switch? I see a new Delso switch online is only 52 dollars. I'm just really afraid to try and remove the steering wheel what with the airbag and all.
Thanks in advance, Jack
-2
Sunday, September 27th, 2009 AT 9:54 PM
FACTORYJACK
It is not too big a deal. You can pull the airbag(sir) fuse, it is either underhood or in rear fuse panel. That disables the system. Then you need a puller to remove the wheel, and a lock plate puller. Threading the harness down the column can also be a task.
+1
Sunday, September 27th, 2009 AT 10:56 PM
BASSMUSICIAN
You know, it had been dry and dusty for quite some time around here, (I live a very short way down a gravel road) and I've noticed this past week has been rainy, and the dang turn signals havent quit once, (Hope I didnt jinx myself) I just wonder if a fellow sprayed some WD40 or some type of lubricant into the area where the turn signal stick sticks out, if that might just fix it. Just a thought, it just seems funny that now they havent failed me since the wetness humidity has came, and when it was a dustbowl they quit all the time. Even if I had the money to take it to a shop, they would think I was nuts if the signals didnt stop at alll. I dont think I'd be able to pull that wheel myself, as I dont have those tools you mentioned. I remember pulling one on my old Firebird Formula as it had a screw that would come off and lock the steering wheel up. Ha ha. But this one is alot more complex. Thanks again, Jack
Thursday, October 1st, 2009 AT 7:40 PM
FACTORYJACK
I would forgo the spraying of anything in there, chances are you would not get it where you wanted it anyway. The turn signal stalk actually goes into the wiper switch, and the turn signal switch is remotely actuated by a lever. I would just continue with the operation and see if the failure returns.
Thursday, October 1st, 2009 AT 9:42 PM
BASSMUSICIAN
I got to looking around there, and felt that flasher while they were working, it was just hanging through this little hole, and I was trying to see if it was maybe loose on the wire, but it slipped up through there, and now I can't feel it, I suppose this plastic plate needs to come off to access it again, as of now, they work around 95% of the time, one just never knows when they will stop, its really annoying. Thanks a million for your replies. Jcka
Friday, October 9th, 2009 AT 6:39 PM
BASSMUSICIAN
Hi Gstacey,
I did what you suggested, and bout a new flasher and installed it, the pain was BAD getting my crippled but up under there, but I made it. Well low and behold, they were fixed for a whole 9 days! No problems, I was so happy. Well, my bubble got bursted yesterday when they totally stopped working. Its been nice around here, so once again I got that plate off, and Tryed unplugging it and plugging it back in etc, no help. Then I drove it home using hand signals, approx 10 miles, and I hadn't put the plate back on yet, goofin tg with the wired, I flicked the new flasher with my finger, and they started working again. I think you are definately on the right track. I wish I could donate, but my wife of 27 years left me high and dry earlier this year for a younger model as I had told you, and I am barely making it. I gave you most of my points, but I still have a few left, I'll give you those as well for any more ideas. I'm not sure if its the flasher or the wire going to the flasher, Also, I notice now, the other flashers, the emergency ones, with a total different kind of started acting weird too, (its round and metal) the turn signal is square and plastic, anyway, it acts funny as I've been using it with my hand turn signals, as it's so dangerous in St Louis traffic without signals. Any more help would be greatly apprieciated, God Bless you, Jack
Saturday, November 7th, 2009 AT 2:57 AM
FACTORYJACK
As far as a plug and play, the flasher is the only possibility. The one you put in, was it aftermarket or an O.E. Part? I know the quality of flashers that are out there is pretty poor. Maybe try and take it back saying it is faulty out of the box, and see if they will give you another one to try. It is possible that you have a wiring issue, or even a turn signal switch issue, but these will be a bit difficult to diagnose for you, over the net.
Tuesday, November 10th, 2009 AT 10:27 PM
BASSMUSICIAN
I agree 100% with you, it has to be either the flasher, or the thing one plugs the flasher in to. Since then, I have left the plastic guard off, and the flasher is moved to where I can reach it while driving, now if they stop working, I can "flick" the aftermarket flasher with a finger two or three times, (like the old Christmas tree lights when they burned out) and it will start working again! That cheapo thing was 11 bucks, I imagine a genuine Cadillac flasher is probally 50 bucks. Thanks again, at least we pretty well know it has to be the flasher itself, or the plug the flasher goes in huh? Have a great holiday season! Jack
Sunday, November 22nd, 2009 AT 10:07 PM
BASSMUSICIAN
Well folks, the flasher was not the problem like I thought, it turned out to be the ignition switch that was the culprit. I had to pay a fortune at a mechanic shop to get that resolved too. This 99 cadillac is second only in nickel and diming me to death to a 84 Ford little LTD
+1
Friday, October 29th, 2010 AT 7:30 PM