1999 Cadillac Deville Electrical System

99CADDY
  • 1999 CADILLAC DEVILLE
For about two months my car's computer has been showing intermittently that the battery was not charging. It would be fine for days then for a few minutes the message would come up on my screen.

It has progressed now to the point that it is on steady and today the power level must have gone down significantly as power systems started shutting down.

The battery is new as I bought it 6 weeks ago so I am guessing by these signals that the problem may be the alternator.

What am I faced with if I decide to replace the alternator myself.
Friday, February 29th, 2008 AT 7:36 AM

CHISPAS
You should check the alternator first before you replace it, most auto parts stores will do this free of charge.
Unless the car gurus at 2 Cars Pros have a different advise.
Friday, February 29th, 2008 AT 7:39 PM
ED ARMES
Recheck the battery. The cables may not be tight enough to provide good contact.
+1
Saturday, March 1st, 2008 AT 7:47 PM
BUZZSAW
It is kinda hard to do, the alt comes out the bottom of the car, and dont puncture the radiator
+1
Wednesday, March 5th, 2008 AT 9:07 AM
ED ARMES
Assuming you have the 4.6 Engine mounted side to side.

When you get to the step of removeing the wires and ground strap, be sure you check if they are just loose. It coul eliminate alot of work.

1. Disconnect negative battery terminal.
2. Drain engine coolant.
3. Remove cooling fans and radiator.
4. Remove serpintine belt.
5. Raise the front on jack stands.
6. Remove lower splash guard.
7. Disconnect coolant outlet and inlet hoses from under side of alternator if yours has them.
"Check wiring now."
8. Remove battery cable from starter.
9. Remove ground strap and 3 upper alternator bolts.
10. Remove hose bracket.
11. Remove lower alternator bolt and drop unit out of car.
Thursday, March 6th, 2008 AT 6:01 PM
BUZZSAW
Sorry you wouldnt make it as a mechanic, all that is a waste of time, it only pays an hour at the dealer
Friday, March 7th, 2008 AT 2:39 PM
ED ARMES
Our job is to assist a layman in the task at hand. It might take him 5 days in his spare time. He is certainly not getting paid to work on his own vehicle.

It is your job to give as complete instruction as possible for the successful completion of the repair.

Given the information we provide, the "client " can make up his own mind wether to repair it himself or pay "you" to do it.

Our job is to give insight and lots of detail. That is what you signed on and agreed to as a moderator so just do it.
+1
Friday, March 7th, 2008 AT 4:09 PM
BUZZSAW
I suppose you got that from a book too, and I do tell them how to fix things without a book cause I have done it many times, and the books I do have are cadillac books not mitchell or what ever you have
Friday, March 7th, 2008 AT 4:37 PM
ED ARMES
If you truly cared about the client then your first and only response should have been " I have an easier way to do this" and then told him how and not let your ego out weigh your knowledge!
Friday, March 7th, 2008 AT 5:56 PM
CHISPAS
Well said Ed.
I'm not a mechanic just a regular Joe, but if something worked for me in a particular problem I'm more than happy to share it. That's what this forum is all about.
I posted a simple question about my trany cooling lines about 2 months ago so far no answer.
I sure hope the Tech's in this forum go back to do what they pledge to do and leave the ego trips at home.
Saturday, March 8th, 2008 AT 1:25 PM
ED ARMES
Thank you for your support of me in this matter. I shall always be in support of the regular Joe wether I am paid or not. I will see if I can find your question and see if I can help.
Saturday, March 8th, 2008 AT 9:34 PM
CHISPAS
Back to the original question.
Is it an easier way to replace the alternator other than the one Ed suggested?
Does the Caddy book shows you how or only quote's how long the dealer take's to do the job.
Sunday, March 9th, 2008 AT 12:30 PM
BUZZSAW
It pays an hr to 2, disconnect the battery, jack the car up in the air, put jack stands under the driver and pass doors, you need to drop the craddle in the front, remove the wires to the blower motor, dropping the frt of the craddle will pull it apart, remove the plastic splash guard and then with a jack put it under the craddle, remove the 2 frt craddle bolts and lower the craddle, it wont go far, but enough. Remove the fan relays this is where the alt will come out and remove the small plate

its much easier with a lift
Monday, March 10th, 2008 AT 1:16 PM
CHISPAS
THANK YOU.
Tuesday, March 11th, 2008 AT 12:57 PM