1998 Cadillac Deville Digital dash problem

CADILLAC187007
  • 1998 CADILLAC DEVILLE
1998 Cadillac Deville V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic

My digital dash suddenly stopped showing me how fast I travel at, the ac and fuel readings are working fine. Sometimes it'll turn back on, but like 10 seconds later it'll go black. Checked fuses, they are all fine. My question is, do I need to replace the entire console? Also, is a console for this vehicle expensive, and does it have to be programmed?
Sunday, September 7th, 2008 AT 4:25 AM

GOLFERCARGUY
Houston, you have a problem! I had same thing on my 97, the message ceanter went bezerk, couldent read milage on odometer, but trip worked fine, then all of a sudden everything went black I found that the display module had went bad I think it shorted out, problem with these is like mine it was 97 only part would work in your case it would be 98, dealer wanted nearly $1000.00 to repair it I went to a self service salvage yard and finally found one out of 97 and tried it but it would light up like it should, but vehicle would not start. What I di was take the unit apart (being very careful) delicate wires and hook ups on it, and traded the displays only leaving my back part where all the vehicle info is stored and put it in and it worked! It's a miserable job as you need to take the top of the dash pad out and thats a job in itself big thing is is getting those darn a/c regisers out with out breaking tabs, (you need to remove those to get at screws holding dash pad on I used a small knife from the kitchen (which my wife knows nothing about by the way) if she did i'd probably be riding in a big caddy funeral coach! It can be done but its a touchy job big thing is is finding a cluster for right year car another thing you can do is remove the cluster and send it to a place I know of in virginia and they will rebuild it for around $375.00 and it takes a week or 10 days to get it back so be prepared fopr a day of work if you tackle it yourself!
+1
Monday, September 8th, 2008 AT 6:51 AM
GOLFERCARGUY
I don't know if phone numbers are allowed on this forum but if it is i'll give you mine and you can call me if you wish and I can give you some pointers ok? Mike ps I'll check and see if its allowed, and ill give it to you some how ok?
Monday, September 8th, 2008 AT 6:55 AM