NOT RUNNING

1993 Cadillac Deville

caddy22

1993 Cadillac Deville V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 129000 miles

well I own a 1993 caddy deville 4.9l and I take very good car of my car. Rite now im having a problem with it running. It recently started sputtering and backfireing. So I figured a tune up. So I did the whole shabang. Wires, plugs, 10.00 apeice plugs, cap n rotor, fuel filter, and pcv valve. But its still running bad. So I took to a shop ta get a dianostic and they said it was an egr valve. My? Is can the egr valve make the car run crappie and have very little power. And have nething to do wit electric draws also =ing power loss?

factoryjack

If the egr valve sticks wide open it can, some have even had a cracked base. It creates a large vacuum leak. Was the fuel pressure checked at your tune?

caddy22

January, 30, 2009 AT 6:17 AM

Well I did the tune mi self and im assuming that the auto shop did when they did the dianostic

factoryjack

Is there a reason not to trust they're diagnosis? To answer your question-Yes, it can cause the symptoms you described, and so can other things. If it is running the same as it was before you tuned it, and you can trust the shop that diagnosed it, replace the egr. It can only cause this type of concern if it is stuck at or near full open. Sticking closed, or if it was diagnosed by code, would only cause possibly some pinging, or a check engine light.

caddy22

February, 1, 2009 AT 6:38 AM

Well untill the shop first tryd to tell me mi battery was the problem ( even know its not even a week old) there was no reason not to trust thyem. I replaced the valve and its still dng it. I tried to take it to the cadillic shop but it staled at the light and wouldn't take a jump off the - neg terminal, but wanted to jump when grounded sumwhea else.