2002 Buick Rendezvous fuel gauge erratic readings

PUDDYTAT2
  • 2002 BUICK RENDEZVOUS
  • AWD
A few weeks ago my gauge started floating all over, it can be full one minute(when I know it is near empty) or low when fuller. Have ever came accross this problem and if so how do you fix it? Luckily I know how many miles per tank I get.
Wednesday, January 9th, 2008 AT 9:09 PM

ALISONSMOM
We just bought a 2006 Rendezvouz a week ago and have had it into the dealership twice to have the gas gauge fixed. Still not fixed and was told by several people that it is a design flaw and there is no fix for it. I called GM/Buick directly this morning and they confirmed that it is a design flaw and that when the vehicle is moving, you will not get an accurate reading. You need to have it sitting still on a flat surface and then you will know how much gas you have. What a bunch of b.S! This buick is going straight back to the dealer and I'm buying a Honda (we have never bought an import before). How pathetic that this is the best we can expect from Buick/GM. This has been a 'design flaw' since at least 2002 and they haven't fixed it yet. There is absolutely no excuse for that. Wow- I'm couldn't be more mad than I am right now!
-1
Tuesday, January 15th, 2008 AT 8:23 AM
DENNYP
Subject: The Fuel Gauge Fluctuates - keywords cluster erratic intermittent IPC sensor #PIT4051C - (11/10/2006)

Models: 2006-2007 Buick Rendezvous 3.5L

This PI was superseded to remove the service cal part numbers. Please disarcd PIT4051B.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may report the fuel gauge fluctuates or operates erratic on their 2006-07 Buick Rendezvous equipped with the (LX9) engine. Engineering has determined that the PCM (Power Control Module) calibration needs to be updated.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Reprogram the PCM with the latest calibration available on TIS2WEB for the appropriate (Delphi or Siemens) EGR valve and retest.

Note: This new calibration will address fuel gauge fluctuation concerns for customers who typically park their vehicle on an incline.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
-1
Thursday, January 17th, 2008 AT 8:37 PM
ROLAND4269
Same thing happened to me recently on my 2002 Buick Rendevouz (at only 82,000 miles). According to the Buick dealer, the fuel level unit was broke, and its replacement would cost me 500 bucks (which my extended warranty doesn't cover).

This also messes up the "Fuel Range" readout in the DIC, obviously. So now I just use my odometer and Fuel Spent readings.

This may not be your issue. If you find a better or cheaper fix, let me know.
Friday, January 25th, 2008 AT 11:00 AM