Odometer error

MATTI5475
  • 2002 BUICK RENDEZVOUS

2002 Buick Rendezvous 6 cylinder Two Wheel Drive Automatic 83,839 miles.

I just had my engine replaced and I now get an error message on my odometer. Do I have to go to the dealer to fix this?

Monday, February 4th, 2008 AT 5:09 PM

MATTI5475

Obd2 does not read bcm codes.

-1
Monday, February 4th, 2008 AT 8:25 PM
DENNYP

I would suggest having it scanned with the proper scan tool before resetting the BCM. If you are having an intermittent fault, you will erase any stored data on the fault when you reset the BCM. If you find some codes, post them for me so I can try and help you out.

Monday, February 4th, 2008 AT 9:44 PM
MATTI5475

Thanks for all the help guys. I will see if I can find someone with a good scan tool. I will post codes if I find any. I am thinking that they may have reset it already. The guy who did the motor said he had dropped the cradle to do the engine on it, so I think he unhooked some of the wire harness. Thanks

Tuesday, February 5th, 2008 AT 9:14 AM
MATTI5475

I could not find any friends with a tech2 to scan this. So I went the other route I pulled the bcm fuse in the front power box and it did nothing. It still reads error in the odometer where the miles would be. I think at this point I will just have to go and dump some more money into this GM gem. Thanks.

Tuesday, February 5th, 2008 AT 4:59 PM
BMRFIXIT

Was the BCM replaced? Snap On scanner or similar will do just fine to get the codes.

Tuesday, February 5th, 2008 AT 7:11 PM
MATTI5475

Bcm was not replaced, a friend of mine that works at a local garage said his Snap On scanner would not be able to read an error code from the odometer. I have a obd2 scanner and it will not pick up any codes. My wife works with someone who had the engine on theirs changed who had the same problem. She paid the money to have it fixed.

Tuesday, February 5th, 2008 AT 7:29 PM
BMRFIXIT

We have a Snap On and it work just fine.
I use it more then any other scanner
You may have to visit the dealer for a reprogram.

-1
Tuesday, February 5th, 2008 AT 8:08 PM
MATTI5475

Yeah they did not want to really help me, it was really busy at the shop he works at, so I d not think he could take the time. Your not in New York are you?

Tuesday, February 5th, 2008 AT 8:30 PM
BMRFIXIT

We have a Snap On and it work just fine
I use it more then any other scanner.

Yeah they did not want to really help me, it was really busy at the shop he works at, so I do not think he could take the time. Your not in New York are you?

I know what you mean.
No sorry, far away from New York.

Tuesday, February 5th, 2008 AT 8:41 PM
MATTI5475

Okay well thanks for all the information. I have a better understanding of what these cars are like these days.

Tuesday, February 5th, 2008 AT 8:53 PM

Other Instrument Cluster Gauge Odometer Replace/Remove Questions